The Director, Technical Services is responsible for implementing technology that is used to execute and improve IANA Services . In addition, this position defines the technical roadmap in close collaboration with leadership and ensures stable operations and measured evolution of all technical systems and services. The Director will oversee the in-house development team, collaborate and provide direction to ICANN’s IT resources on IANA-related services, and manage relationships with external technical service providers. This individual will provide the team with relevant subject matter expertise on technical operations best practices.
This position is also responsible for the security program including management of the Root Zone KSK (key signing key). The Director, Technical Services will ensure systems (including hardware, software, and applications) used to provide the IANA Services have effective security safeguards by developing security policies and standards, testing approaches and managing remediation. This position will also manage the security and cryptographic business operations staff.
• Manage technical development for the organization in liaison with management.
• Coordinate and lead both internal and external development efforts. Participate in relevant internal working teams, as they are convened.
• Analyze IANA business requirements and review performance of the IANA functions in conjunction with the VP, IANA Services and others in the IANA leadership team. Propose process and technical system improvements to improve service delivery.
• Counsel the department on the practicality and viability of proposed service changes.
• Maintain a roadmap with reporting to both internal and external audiences.
• Manage the in-house software development team and security team on all personnel related decisions and day-to-day work.
• Manage relationship with other corporate security and IT teams and collaboration on security reviews of cross-functional system development projects.
• Oversee project development for new technical features and process improvements within the IANA Services team.
• Plan, implement and document best business practices for all computing and communications systems related to the IANA services
• Manage the root zone Key Signing Key (KSK), including generation, publication, and use for signing the Root Keyset; and for establishing a secure facility for the Root Keyset.
• Successfully execute key signing ceremonies throughout the year, managing selection of and relationships with Trusted Community Representatives; and collaborating with the Root Zone Maintainer.
• Maintain the security of the IANA systems and technical facilities, ensuring adequate controls and restrictions are in place. Implement security audits and exercises to test and evolve the team’s security-related controls and operational plans.
• Develop and implement the team’s security and contingency planning.
• Capable of representing the IANA services at appropriate stakeholder forums to engage on technical issues.
• Other duties as assigned or requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
• Broad knowledge and experience in: Software Development; Internet Protocols; DevOps; Network Security; Application Security; Risk Management. Ability to utilize skills from a broad range of technical disciplines (such as security, programming, architecture, systems administration) to quickly rationalize and identify core issues is essential.
• Excellent written and spoken English. Multi-lingual skills and international experience strongly preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to: manage staff; oversee technical development projects; work collaboratively within teams and demonstrate leadership; develop policies and procedures; solve complex problems calmly and competently in high-pressure situations and ambiguous environments
• Experience desirable in Internet standards process, registry operations, network security and/or information security roles demonstrating increasing levels of responsibility.
• Full understanding of key Internet protocols, specifically including TCP/IP networking and DNS.
• Specialized knowledge of DNSSEC, or closely related PKI/cryptography fields highly desirable.
• Proven ability to prepare detailed technical reports, documents, presentations and speeches to internal and external audiences.
• Ability to work with a highly diverse workforce and community
• Curiosity and passion for the development of the Internet
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Preferably Master’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field; Bachelor degree required
• 10+ years of relevant experience with a Master’s degree or 12+ years of experience with a Bachelor’s degree.
• Systems Architecture, Software Development, Cryptography, Network Security, DNS, Attack/Defense Techniques
• Active affiliations: IETF or similar SDO participant
• Desirable certifications: CISSP, CISM