Title: Medical Director
Business Unit: Avant Healthcare
Reports to: Executive Medical Director
Summary of the Job
Avant Healthcare is a leader in peer-to-peer marketing for pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, creating comprehensive communication strategies and plans that deliver superior medical and health education to healthcare professionals across multiple channels. MCORE is the medical division of Avant Healthcare.
The Medical Director serves as an integral part of the MCORE team in the design and development of medical, scientific, and educational content. Strong interpersonal skills are required to develop and strengthen key relationships with clients and key thought leaders in multiple therapeutic areas. The Medical Director actively participates as a member of cross-functional teams, planning and developing deliverables of the highest quality on time and within budget. The Medical Director also functions as an internal expert and resource to provide functional integration of medical and marketing objectives, both internally and for our brand-team clients. The Medical Director is responsible for supporting the corporation as a content expert in order to influence and support the corporate vision and direction.
Essential Functions of Medical Director
- Understand scope and status of projects within their individual team members and ensure appropriate forecasting, resourcing, alignment, communication, processes, quality, and timelines are adhered to
- Supervise quality control tasks within MCORE
- Function as a scientific expert and collaborate with Creative and Client Services
- Review and revise medical content to ensure alignment with client strategy and all content
- Design and ideate medical brand programming
- Apply practice guidelines, performance measures, quality improvement, and other relevant, evidence-based data sources to establish and attain desired outcomes of educational interventions
- Develop relationships and work closely with clients and key opinion leaders to develop and execute strategy and all content
- Serve as the internal client expert and the point-of-contact with the client for the preparation, revision, and finalization of deliverables
- Set framework and guidance; maintain full compliance with legal, regulatory, and company requirements as well as US laws and regulations
- Complete necessary content-related documentation and archiving per client and company policies/procedures utilizing designated technology platforms
- Work closely with the Medical Information Specialists and Medical Writers in using evidenced-based research and writing appropriate content
- Collaborate with project leads to manage the scope-of-project within budget and according to timelines/deadlines, identify risks and develop mitigation strategies
- Management of Medical Writer(s)
- Participate in MCORE future vision initiatives
- Provide strategic guidance, direction and leadership in areas of responsibility
- Ownership/leadership of client account/content and content strategies
- Responsible for collaborating on resource staffing and hiring for dedicated account as needed
- Participate in business development initiatives
- Travel to client and business development meetings, advisory boards, and medical congresses as necessary and create summary notes for each meeting, if warranted. Travel requirements may include moderate overnight/weekend travel (up to 25%) to support clients/projects that are outside the local area
- Work occasional nonstandard work hours in accordance with project needs, deadlines, deliverables, and urgent client requests
- This position has direct reports and performs supervisory tasks
Education and Experience
- Advanced degree, PhD, PharmD, PsyD, etc. in a medical science-related field with a minimum of 5 years of experience in medical education, scientific/research design, evaluation, analysis, or clinical experience/insights required and medical communications in pharmaceutical company or medical communications agency experience preferred, or
- Masters with 9-11 years of experience in medical education, scientific/research design, evaluation, analysis, or clinical experience/insights and medical communications in pharmaceutical company or medical communications agency experience required, or
- Bachelors with 12-14 years of experience in medical communications in pharmaceutical company or medical communications agency required
- Demonstrate a clear grasp of pharmaceutical industry-funded development and marketing activities
- Expert oral and written communication skills
- Experience in marketing or business
- Behaviors and qualities of a professional and a lifelong commitment to professional development as demonstrated by an excellent ability to manage time, work in a collaborative way, adapt to change, act in a professional manner, manage stress, and demonstrate a service orientation.
- A commitment to conducting business according to the highest ethical standards as demonstrated by an excellent knowledge of industry legal compliance guidelines, organizational ethics, and demonstration of personal ethics and integrity.
- Ability to communicate effectively as demonstrated by an advanced level of presentation skills and an advanced level of verbal skills, writing skills, technical and scientific writing skills, and an excellent ability to influence and impact others through meaningful and persuasive delivery.
- Applies the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to achieve continuous quality improvement as exhibited by excellent accuracy, problem solving, quality management, client-readiness behaviors.
- Leadership skills as distinguished by an excellent ability to manage change and achieve results.
- A wide range of healthcare-related industry expertise including an advanced level of client knowledge, clinical and scientific knowledge, research and outcomes measurement expertise, medical education, and consulting and brand planning expertise.
- Vision and Innovation as displayed by an excellent ability to think critically, think creatively, and engage in visioning.