The Freelance WFMT Digital Editor will help make WFMT.com a destination for arts and music content in Chicago. This position is responsible for recruiting and coordinating the work of the best writers and digital producers to create interesting and timely arts content on WFMT.com with an emphasis on, but not exclusively about, classical music and Chicago. He/she will develop and brainstorm story ideas and edit all content and will incorporate best practices for digital audience engagement and growth, journalistic ethics, research, fact-checking and work under deadlines.
- Identify and recruit promising arts and classical music writers, thinkers, journalists, and producers from around the country to contribute work to WFMT.com.
- Commission, edit and fact-check at least one original digital piece per week, including occasional timely opinion content, about classical music and the arts.
- Research and utilize best practices for audience engagement and growth.
- Upload content and make changes to content under the direction of WFMT staff.
- Help evaluate effectiveness and implement new strategies for growing digital audience.
- Administer payment and permission/release process for all freelancers in a timely manner.
- Experience writing about the arts for a professional website.
- Demonstrated interest in classical music and the arts more broadly.
- Familiarity with the arts scene in the Chicago area required but residence in the Chicago-area not required.
- Proven online writing and journalism skills.
- Demonstrated experience researching and fact-checking content.
- Demonstrated experience assigning and editing other peoples’ work.
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics and procedure.
- Knowledge of Content Management Systems.
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Audition and basic HTML.
- Familiarity with or interest in narrative and online storytelling.
MINIMUM EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree required.