E Source provides independent research, information, advisory, and consulting services to electric and gas utilities across North America. Our mission is to advance the efficient use of energy by helping to improve our members’ operations, energy efficiency and renewable energy programs, and customer relationships.
E Source is looking for a Business Development Director (BDD). This person is responsible for sales of E Source’s Research and Consulting Solutions to electric and gas utility organizations in the Western Region. While this position may be located anywhere in the US, the preferred base would be in Boulder, Colorado or in the West Coast. You will work collaboratively with the product and customer success teams to ensure member satisfaction and provide input to develop additional strategic offerings for this market.
This sales position requires knowledge of solutions-based consultative selling, the utility market, and E Source products and service offerings, as well as a deep understanding of working with high-level decision makers within the specific target markets.
- Proactively call existing and prospective customers to identify potential business opportunities; this position requires a high degree of relationship development via telephone, email, web conference, and in person activity
- Assume “ownership & accountability” for defined markets and product offerings; this includes participation in the sales cycle from prospecting to developing the sale, closing the sale, and completing necessary administrative tasks
- Accurately report and forecast sales and related activities using company’s CRM system, Salesforce.com
- Professionally represent E Source at conferences as necessary to build the E Source brand, engage customers, and gain intelligence on prospects
- Develop strategies to broaden the utility market, while also identifying and expanding into related new markets
- Inform customers and prospects of forthcoming product changes and new products (supported by E Source’s marketing department)
- Respond to billing/invoicing/fulfillment queries for defined accounts
- Close coordination with Marketing team, including lead generation from multiple sources with timely follow-up
- Close coordination with the region’s corresponding Customer Success Director.
- Close coordination with and assignments from the Chief Customer Officer
- Available for travel up to 30% of time.
- Ability to cultivate and leverage high-level executive contacts with utility members and prospects
- Collaborative nature, yet able to get results independently. Promotes a spirit of cooperation and creates positive impressions
- Proven desire to exceed client expectations. Is passionate about serving the customer and being their advocate
- Has excellent phone and email communication skills and good public speaking experience, both in-person and virtually. Must have natural ability to engage the audience on highly technical content.
- College Degree (BA or BS)
- Energy utility industry knowledge and/or account management experience, preferred
- Strong communication skills (oral and written), interpersonal skills, follow up skills, presentation skills, time management skills, planning skills, organization skills, integrity, teamwork abilities, objectivity, and a passion for customer service are required
- Proficient in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, database and other communication/productivity-related software, including Google applications.
- Self-starter who regularly takes initiative on their own and possesses a strong learning curve
- 5 or more years of sales experience, with field sales experience preferred
E Source is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability that can be reasonably accommodated without undue hardship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.