WSP is currently seeking a Senior Telecommunications Engineer, to join our Rail Systems Engineering team, located at our office in Edmonton, AB. Reporting to the Manager of Rail Systems Engineering, West, this position will lead a team of Engineers and Specialists working on planning, design and execution of telecommunications systems for various rail systems projects. As a senior member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to use your transferable skills to define processes, create execution plans, mentor the junior team members, and be the technical lead for multiple projects. You will be supported by management to develop work plans and professional skills to become a strong leader in the consulting environment.
- Leads a team of Engineers and Specialists working on planning, design and execution of telecommunications systems;
- Telecommunications systems will include Fibre Optic and Copper cabling backbones and distribution, CCTV, PA, Passenger Information Displays, Telephone, Radio, DCS, Fare Collection, Traction Power control and monitoring, Fire Alarms, Intrusion Detection and Access Control, SCADA, BMS, WIFi, server rooms, communications rooms, Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), network architecture, data communications for information systems, safety-critical communications systems (Signalling for example), architectural, electrical and mechanical layouts related to telecommunications;
- Facilitate collaboration between rail systems and other disciplines such as Systems Engineering/Integration, Signals, Traction Power, System Assurance, Project Controls, Buildings Architectural/Electrical/Mechanical disciplines, Civil, Track, Project Managers/Analysts/Coordinators and Operations Specialists;
- Work with clients to discuss technical topics in a clear and professional manner, with guidance from project managers.
- Oversee and review requirements analysis for telecommunications systems and services
- Review project solutions and deliverables to ensure that they meet the project requirements and that relevant system engineering techniques have been applied to ensure clarity, feasibility, traceability, validation testing, future expansion and maintenance requirements;
- Assign work packages and monitor progress with respect to project schedules and milestones
- Develop cost estimates, design programs, work scopes, resource plans & schedules, reports and forecasts;
- Supervise engineers and specialists working on conceptual design, communications systems architecture, and detailed design;
- Review detailed calculations, drawings, technical specifications, procurement documents, design reports and installation packages, proposal evaluations, technical reports, detailed analyses, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes of rail systems;
- Ensure all design elements are compliant with relevant government standards, industry standards and Rail Operation Rules.
- Produce communication systems design reports, drawings, and specifications and be responsible for technical reviews, design review submissions and responses to RFIs;
- Develop and manage construction and professional service contracts with consultants and other service contractors;
- Provide technical support for procurement, construction, acceptance testing, and commissioning of telecommunications systems;
- Report on project status including progress, schedules and budget;
- Strong leadership & direction of allocated resource & tasks;
- Mentoring, developing, and training of junior staff;
- Work within project deadlines, be flexible, and produce high quality work.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- An Engineering degree in a relevant discipline from an accredited University;
- Minimum of ten (10) years continuous experience in communications detailed design, construction supervision, project management and design consultancy;
- Membership, or eligible for membership, as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Alberta and/or British Columbia;
- Previous experience in Rail & Transit projects is a must;
- Excellent design abilities in railway related communication and proven knowledge and extensive experience in system engineering;
- Significant experience with transit and rail communications systems;
- Knowledge of passenger railroad / transit operations;
- Familiarity with the CBTC based signalling systems and driverless train control is an asset;
- Experienced in the design and/or integration of train control systems into transit facilities and vehicles;
- Good knowledge and understanding of relevant Standards (CENELEC, AREMA, IEEE, MIL-STD, etc.);
- Critical attention to specification details and project deadlines;
- Ability to adapt well to changes in direction and priorities in a project or program;
- Ability to meet deadlines in a project-oriented environment;
- Ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units in a matrix organization with little to no supervision;
- Excellent soft skills individual including communication, interpersonal, presentation, leadership and report writing proficiency with a strong desire and ability to collaborate in problem solving in an integrated team environment.