WSP is seeking a Telecommunications CADD Designer, to join our Rail Systems team in Edmonton or Calgary, AB. Reporting to the Manager of Rail Systems Engineering – West, this position will be responsible to work collaboratively with a team of Engineers and Specialists to produce telecommunications design drawing packages for various rail systems projects. As a member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to use your education and experience to define processes, create execution plans, and document design and installation for multiple projects. You will be challenged to manage multiple priorities and meet tight deadlines. You will gain knowledge through mentorship and skills development as you fast-track your professional development to become a strong CADD Specialist.
- Provide CADD design in support of communications infrastructure for rail transit and other railway projects;
- Ensure all design elements are compliant with relevant government standards, industry standards and Rail Operation Rules.
- Telecommunications systems will include Fibre Optic and Copper cabling backbones and distribution, CCTV, PA, Passenger Information Displays, Telephone, Radio, DCS, Fare Collection, Traction Power control and monitoring, Fire Alarms, Intrusion Detection and Access Control, SCADA, BMS, WIFi, server rooms, communications rooms, Human Machine Interfaces (HMI), network architecture, data communications for information systems, safety-critical communications systems (Signalling for example), and related architectural, electrical and mechanical layouts;
- Produce drawings using AutoCAD, technical specifications, procurement documents, design and installation packages, technical reports, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes in rail communications systems;
- Function as a technical resource in documenting communications system designs and solutions;
- Create communications system schematics;
- Utilize and maintain technical databases and file structures within project files;
- Assist with communications system technical reviews, designs review submissions and response to RFIs;
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Technologist diploma or higher in a related engineering discipline from an accredited institute that is recognized by the Association of Science & Engineering Technology Professionals of Alberta (ASET) or an equivalent association in another province;
- Registered Technologist with CET designation.
- Registered as a member of ASET or equivalent association of another province.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience;
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a Consulting Engineering or Railway environment.
- Proven knowledge in system engineering and communications;
- High proficiency in AutoCAD, and / or equivalent CADD software to create drawings with layers, Xrefs and labels;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio;
- Critical attention to specification details and project deadlines;
- Ability to adapt well to changes in direction or priorities in a project;
- Ability to meet deadlines in a project-oriented environment;
- Ability to work successfully in multi-disciplinary teams and across different business units in a matrix organization;
- Flexible and able to prioritize workload in conjunction with project delivery teams;
- Strong communication skills, professional ethics and ability to take the initiative and display a commitment to contribute to the team.
QUALIFICATIONS THAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED AS AN ASSET
- A bachelor’s degree in Computing Science specializing in Network Communications is an asset;
- Significant experience with rail transit and other communications systems;
- Knowledge of passenger railroad / transit operations;
- Familiarity with the CBTC based signalling systems and driverless train control.
- Experienced in the design and/or integration of train control systems into transit facilities and vehicles;
- Understanding of relevant Standards (CENELEC, AREMA, IEEE, MIL-STD, etc.);