WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
We have over 48,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
We are future focused and challenge the status quo
We foster collaboration in everything we do
We have an empowering culture and hold ourselves accountable
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Mechanical & Electrical Department, located at our Edmontonoffice. Reporting to the Director, Mechanical & Electrical this position will be responsible for taking design projects from start to finish.
• In addition, the Senior Mechanical Engineer will apply a high level of technical and professional mechanical engineering and consulting expertise while offering leadership to members of the design team with overall responsibility for ensuring the output of the design meets the established project criteria and all applicable standards. The position is also responsible for researching and implementing new technology designs as mandated by clients and the Mechanical Engineering Director. The work environment is of high volume, offering a range of project complexities and requires a high level of responsibility.
• Working with the Mechanical Engineering Director, develops mechanical design strategies for building construction to ensure efficient and sustainable project delivery
• Actively participates all projects during design and construction
• Successfully develops relationships with engineers, technologists, technicians, and construction personnel
• Coordinates the preparation of engineering specifications and drawings, quantity and cost estimates
• Responsible for ensuring that the drawings and specifications meet established project criteria and applicable standards
• Develops standards related to our mechanical engineering practice, ensuring best practices for project delivery, and when applicable sustainable building construction
• Utilizes industry specific software and related technologies in design and analysis
• Preparation of reports, proposals, and tender/bid submissions, budgets, project plans, and other supporting documentation, as required
• Manages all aspects associated with contract administration and client services monitoring
• When necessary, becomes involved with a variety of agencies for project approvals and permitting purposes
Other duties as assigned/required.
Education: A university degree in mechanical engineering from an accredited institution or equivalency. Membership, or eligibility for membership, in the Association of Professional Engineers, and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), along with LEED Accreditation and sustainable design experience are considered assets.
Experience: Ten to fifteen years of experience in consulting mechanical design engineering for buildings or equivalent experience and responsibilities is required. A comprehensive working knowledge of Microsoft Office, CARRIER HAP or TRANE Trace, and experience with AutoCAD drafting are required. Knowledge of Revit is considered an asset.
• Strong technical knowledge and expertise
• Ability to work independently and as a team member
• Excellent communication, time management, multitasking, and detail orientation skills
• Capable of working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Effectively manages a variety of projects simultaneously
• Able to balance work and personal requirements
• Enjoys working in a professional office environment, with occasional client and site visits, and work outside of normal business hours
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. For more information please READ THE FULL POLICY.