JOB TITLE: Bioinformatician
POSITION NUMBER: 1707-61249-BI-0001
POSITION LOCATION: Atlanta, GA, USA
ANTICIPATED START DATE: 9/29/2017
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED: Position is filled
TRAVEL: As required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
IHRC, Inc. provides scientific, information management, management consulting, bioinformatics, and administrative program support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other Federal and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be a full-time employee of IHRC, Inc., and will be assigned to the Rotavirus Surveillance Laboratory, Gastroenteritis and Respiratory Virus Laboratory Branch (GRVLB), Division of Viral Diseases (DVD), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), at the CDC, Atlanta, GA, to provide bioinformatics support.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Bioinformatician will use bioinformatics approaches to perform research on genomic sequence data from viruses associated with gastrointestinal disease. The research performed will elucidate the evolution and biology of gastrointestinal pathogens through computational analyses of sequence data and discover unique regions in the genomes of these organisms that can be targeted for diagnostic assay development.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform computational analysis of genomic sequence data from gastrointestinal viruses
- Utilize bioinformatics tools to:
- Process raw sequence data produced by Sanger and next generation sequencing
- Identify, characterize, and annotate genes found in sequence data
- Perform evolutionary, phylogenetic, and phylodynamic studies of sequence data
- Identify unique regions of pathogen genomes for use as targets in molecular diagnostic assays
- Present research findings in laboratory meetings and branch seminars
- Author scientific manuscripts for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Travel to domestic and international scientific meetings for presentation of research findings
- Attend training classes as required
Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, or a field related to the responsibilities of the position
- Experience performing quality control, assembly, annotation, and analysis of data generated by Sanger and next generation sequencing platforms
- Proficiency with open source and commercially available software for bioinformatics analysis of next generation sequencing data
- Proficiency with the use of publicly available data repositories (i.e. NCBI, EMBL, and DDBJ)
- Experience in the development and optimization of bioinformatics workflows and genomic/metagenomics analysis methods and applications
- Experience with genomic data analysis, comparative genomics and genome-based typing systems
- Experience with machine learning
- Experience performing bioinformatics analysis in a cluster computing environment
- Ability to work and build coalitions with partners involved, and develop strategies to effectively convey information to partners
- Experience with Access, BioNumerics and statistical software
- Ability to work independently and yet maintain the flexibility to respond to requests for support of ongoing projects
- The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply for this position:
- If you are viewing this position on the IHRC Career Center, please click on the "Apply Now" button.
- If you are viewing this position on a site other than the IHRC Career Center, you may use the “click to apply” link, or you may apply by visiting our Career Center and searching for the position number listed at the top of this position description.
- To view all of our open positions, and to apply to those positions in which you may be interested, please visit our Career Center, which can also be reached by visiting www.ihrc.com/Careers and clicking on the “View Opportunities” link.
IHRC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. It is the policy of IHRC, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, and veteran or disability status and to take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws and Executive Orders.