Central Garden & Pet Company (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA) is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet and lawn and garden supplies markets. Dallas Manufacturing Company, a division of Central Garden & Pet is searching for an Accounting Manager for our Dallas, TX office.
The Accounting Manager will be responsible for all areas related to financial reporting. This position will develop and maintain accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements.
Please see our website at www.central.com for additional company information.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting and general ledger structure.
- Manage the monthly financial close process, including ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, approving journal entries, reviewing account balance reconciliations and report preparation.
- Prepare account analysis and recommended journal entries for key balance sheet reserves and other complex accounting matters.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close.
- Ensure the timely reporting of all monthly financial information.
- Assist with analyzing financial statements on a monthly basis and report on variances.
- Assist with preparing corporate reporting requirements.
- Supports budget and forecasting activities.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Advises staff regarding the handling of non-routine reporting transactions.
- Responds to inquiries from the CFO, Controller, and other firm wide managers regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Work with the Controller to ensure a clean and timely year-end audit.
- Supervise the general ledger group to ensure all financial reporting deadlines are met.
- Assist in development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Provide training to new and existing staff as needed.
- Handle personnel issues relating to staff conflicts, absenteeism, performance issues, etc.
- Work with each direct report to establish goals and objectives for each year and monitor and advise on the progress to enhance the professional development of staff.
- Support Controller with special projects and workflow process improvements.
- Assist in documentation and monitoring of internal controls to ensure compliance with internal control policies in a SOX environment.
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting.
5-7 years prior experience with a strong foundation in general accounting, monthly close, financial reporting and GAAP concepts.
Experience working in a manufacturing/distribution environment is preferred.
Experience with SAP is preferred.
Advanced Excel skills require
Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Strong interpersonal, supervisory and customer service skills required.
Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.
#CB #LI-CM1 #LI-PRI