These are termed positions from early May to late August 2019 with varying start and end dates available.
Performing Arts at Banff Centre is looking for experienced Sound Technicians to join their high-functioning team as additional support during the Banff Summer Arts Festival. Reporting to the Technical Manager, the Sound Technicians will assist in the completion of tasks assigned to the Sound department including assisting with administrative duties and directing the work of Practicum Sound Technicians.
- Performing Sound Technician work including technical set up pre-event, trouble-shooting, technical operation during the event, and post-event clean-up
- Overseeing the work of lower-leveled Sound Technicians and the Sound Technician Practicum Participants
- Assisting with the administration of the sound department including safety of assigned crews within the supplied frameworks of budget, staffing, equipment, space, and time
- Staying current on related industry trends including the application of up-to-date techniques and use of special materials
- Applying professional theatre techniques and methods to provide the quality, efficiency, safety, and support required by Performing Arts
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- We are considering applicants with varying levels of experience gained while working in a professional music, theatre, opera, or dance venue:
- Level 1 Sound Technicians possess at least 2000 hours' experience as a working sound technician
- Level 2 Sound Technicians possess at least 3 years' experience as a working sound technician
- Level 3 Sound Technicians possess at least 5 years' experience as a working sound technician
The responsibilities of this position require the Sound Technician to be available to work a flexible, rotating schedule.
Employment Terms & Benefits
In accordance with CUPE 4318, these are unionized, termed, hourly support staff positions, subject to a 500-hour probation period.
Sound Technicians will work up to 40 hours per week on a rotating schedule.
Rates of pay:
Level 1: Between $16.98 and $18.26 per hour, depending on qualifications
Level 2: Between $18.35 and $20.38 per hour, depending on qualifications
Level 3: Between $22.04 and $24.50 per hour, depending on qualifications
Banff Centre offers on-the-job training, a supportive work environment, a staff cafeteria, subsidized fitness memberships, staff events, and free or reduced admission to many Banff Centre performances and events.
Subsidized local housing is available during the contract term.
We are accepting applications until suitable candidates have been identified. Please include a cover letter demonstrating how your experience translates to this position and your dates of availability.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its work community. If you are a foreign national please visit our International Applicants page for more information.