In Canada, more than 8,000 of our people foster innovation every day because we know that our future world will be vastly different from today. Our reach includes environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources. Through our Future Ready initiative, we bring clarity and vision to some of Canada's most complex challenges and opportunities.
The excellence we bring to our work and to work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Corporate Knights' Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned ReNew Canada's Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects. In 2018, LinkedIn ranked us number 7 on their Top Companies list.
At WSP , we see the future more clearly and design for it today - we put innovation, and the highest ethical standards and professionalism at the centre of all we do. Find out what we have to offer.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Project Manager to join the Rail Systems team, located at our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Manager, Rail systems Engineering, this position will be responsible for technical and project management and leadership on Proposals and Projects in the railway industry for commuter, subway, light rail, and heavy rail systems. As a senior member of the Rail Systems Engineering team, you will be given opportunities to use your transferrable skills to lead a team of highly skilled and motivated team of project managers, engineers, specialists, analysts, and coordinators. You will be responsible for managing large and complex projects in Rail Systems by applying your professional skills and mentoring & coaching your team. You will ensure the project teams generate the planned revenues and develop strategies to develop winning proposals.
- Leading project execution in rail systems with a team of Chief Engineers and Specialists across rail systems disciplines (Systems Engineering, Signals, Electrification Systems, Data Communications, and Project Controls), Systems Engineers, Analysts, and Coordinators;
- Leading business development and proposal effort from market research & analysis, through RQQ, RFP, proposal submission, to Project Charter creation;
- Liaising with the client to define and refine the precise expectations to ensure all stakeholders are on the same page;
- Ensuring all changes are properly estimated and agreed prior to implementation;
- Managing project scope, budget, schedule, risk, and quality to ensure overall success, while also providing technical leadership to ensure all deliverables are produced to meet client expectations;
- Reviewing and approving calculations, drawings, technical specifications, procurement documents, design and installation packages, proposal evaluations, technical reports, cost estimates, detailed analyses, design justifications, and other materials suitable for procurement and construction purposes in rail;
- Collaboratively work with all internal and external stakeholders to ensure all expectations are clearly defined and understood.Internal stakeholders include professional engineers from various disciplines (civil, mechanical, electrical, structural, surveying), technical services (CADD, print shop, IT), and management services (project services, accounting, human resources, senior management);
- Managing communications with client, team, subcontractors, and sub-consultants in a professional manner;
- Facilitate resolution of customer relationship versus technical issues and expectations;
- Sealing design packages using the Professional Engineer stamp, in a professional and ethical manner;
- Work to tight schedules, be flexible, motivate junior staff, and travel on short notice;
- Travel internationally to support proposals, projects, Client’s needs, and work in multiple office locations on a weekly basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline from an accredited University that is recognized by the provincial engineering association;
- Registered Professional Engineer with either P.Eng. or P.E. License is favourable.
- PMP certification is favourable.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in a leadership role.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Rail Systems Engineering or equivalent.
- International Rail Systems Engineering experience required.
- Experience in a Consulting Engineering environment.
- Must be a good team player and decision maker with the ability to get buy-in from all stakeholders.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent presentation and report writing skills.
- Proven leadership and mentoring experience to develop technical skills.
- Proven capability in the rail market to lead delivery of complex projects with strong technical competence and commercial management.
- Strong knowledge of signalling principles, train control solutions including CBTC (moving block or fixed block) and PTC, and railway standards such as CENELEC, AREMA and MIL-STD.
- Understanding of Systems Engineering Concepts to extract technical, project, and functional requirements from tender documents, and create system and subsystem level requirements.
- Hands-on experience using IBM Rational DOORS.
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Visio
- Experience in all Phases of the Engineering Design Life Cycle (Proposal, CDR, PDR, FDR) and/or System Testing and Integration Life Cycle (test plan, test case, FAT, SAT, Reliability and Availability).
- Experience in project level risk identification and management.
- Understanding of the System Safety Certification processes.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
To learn more about our firm and the projects we have been involved in, please visit our World of Possibilities microsite.
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.