WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Manager, Water and Wastewater to join our Infrastructure department, located at our Edmonton office. Reporting to the Manager, Municipal Infrastructure, this position will provide you with the opportunity to join our large Infrastructure team and work on Water and Wastewater projects for municipalities and private clients. This role requires a leader to work under minimal supervision to independently evaluate, select and apply standard and advanced engineering techniques and procedures.
- Provide leadership to a team of technical staff delivering water and wastewater projects;
- Provide major contribution to business development and fostering client relationships. Contribute to work on prospective proposals and help to build and sustain client relationships and business development efforts;
- Managing of Water/Wastewater Engineering projects including financial controls, project management, and managing client relationships;
- Participating in studies, assessments, modeling, preliminary and detailed design, cost estimates, specifications, contract documents, tendering and contract administration;
- Providing senior review and professional authentication of memos, reports, drawings and other engineering documents;
- Liaising with clients, consultants, regulatory and utility agencies, and contractors;
- Planning projects, developing accurate scopes of work, cost estimates, project plans, schedules and deliverables to execute high quality projects on time and on budget;
- Apply diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices;
- Supervise the work of engineers on the project(s) including, planning assignments, providing technical guidance, reviewing work and results, and performing performance appraisals of staff;
- Develop new or novel concepts and approaches, and recommend major design changes;
- Provide technical advice for complex or unique assignments and training to others;
- Provide mentorship over a group of engineers;
- Serve as a project manager, design manager, or lead design engineer in a small to large Water and Wastewater projects;
- Support project managers on large, complex projects or programs – such assignments have clear and specific objectives;
- Offer technical guidance in field(s) of expertise including detailed reviews and checks as part of the firm’s QC program ensuring accuracy and reliability of results; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Providing project engineering and technical expertise, hydraulic calculations, and process design services for various water and wastewater treatment facilities;
- Typical work assignments include complex water and wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations, in conjunction with linear conveyance projects;
- Project components include project planning, studies, preliminary design, final design, and services during construction;
- Study evaluations include alternatives analysis, methods for implementation, condition assessment and cost analysis;
- Cross-disciplinary design supervision and design coordination, preparation of construction plans and bid document specifications, office engineering construction support, coordination with facility operations staff, start-up assistance, and contract administration; and
- Work with senior staff in business development efforts, including client contacts, proposal preparation, client interviews and project positioning activities.
- An undergraduate degree in civil engineering from an accredited university;
- 12+ years of experience in a consulting environment on water and wastewater projects;
- Registered as a P.Eng. in Alberta;
- A proven track record of successful business development, and of fostering client relationships;
- Demonstrated supervisory experience, including training, reviewing work, and performing performance appraisals;
- Experience delivering new concepts, approaches and foresight in water and wastewater engineering;
- You are a self-motivated leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills; and
- Good inter-personal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, team environment.