WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every day our more than 48,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8,000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP, we’re proud, professional and passionate people, join our team.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Project Engineer to join our Rail and Transit team in the Transportation Group, located at our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Manager, this position will be responsible for overseeing multiple aspects of heavy and light rail transit projects.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every single day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly meaningful work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
- Are you a passionate engineer interested in working on challenging, dynamic, and diverse projects in a global company?
- Do you want to influence and guide and coordinate with various internal disciplines to ensure the successful completion of state of the art projects?
- Are you passionate about growth opportunities and exposure to leading practices within a growing, global multinational firm?
What you'll expect:
- Meet with prospective clients;
- Collaborate with other WSP business lines;
- Produce and oversee designs for heavy rail and/or light rail transit;
- Develop and prepare technical specifications for heavy and light rail infrastructure projects;
- Prepare technical memos, studies, specifications and non-standard special provisions;
- Oversee and validate regulatory compliance of rail and road grade crossings;
- Infrastructure inspection and contract administration, including but not limited to track, culverts, crossings and bridges;
- Preparation, review and authenticating of drawings;
- Develop, prepare and deliver level of effort requirements, proposals and presentations;
- Develop, prepare and deliver reports, feasibility studies and capital cost estimates;
- Tender document creation, tender submission review and recommendation;
- Construction management support including review of submittals, QA/QC, and liaising with the client;
- Liaison with clients, sub-consultants and agencies;
- Attend project meetings with clients, consulting disciplines and external stakeholders;
- Establish and maintain good working relationships and communication with department managers, project managers and team members;
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior staff;
- Stay up to date on changes with industry regulatory requirements;
- Other duties as assigned/ required.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Graduation in the field of Engineering from an accredited university; Civil designation preferred
- P.Eng. (Eligible for membership with EGBC);
- Senior level experience related to heavy and/or light rail infrastructure projects;
- Technical understanding, design experience, and up-to-date on rail and transit technologies and practices;
- Knowledge and understanding of current and relevant standards, including but not limited to, AREMA, CN, CP, BNSF, Transport Canada, Railway Safety Act;
- Track and / or bridge construction or inspection experience would be considered an asset.
- Advanced computer skills in MS Excel, MS Project and AutoCAD (Civil 3D);
- Works independently with minimal oversight, take full responsibility for project deliverables;
- Ability to work on several projects at a time with multiple design teams;
- Excellent technical, interpersonal and teamwork skills; and
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Candidates not meeting the exact experience and qualifications may be considered for a modified role.