WSP is one of the world's leading professional engineering services firms. Every single day our more than 42,000 experts work to restore the natural environment and transform the built environment.
In Canada, our 8000+ people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transport networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future.
The excellence we bring to our work and to our workplace has been recognized far and wide. We’re a Forbes Top Employer in Canada, one of the Top 100 Sustainable Companies in the World (and among the Top 10 in Canada), and we earned Platinum Elite Recognition through our participation in more than half of Canada’s Top 100 Infrastructure Projects.
At WSP , we’re proud, professional and passionate people. Join us.
WSP is currently seeking a Senior Rail Designer to join our Rail and Transit team in the Transportation Group, located at our Vancouver office. Reporting to the Manager, this position will be responsible for designs beginning in the concept stage through to detail design of heavy rail and/or transit projects.
Why choose WSP?
- A Canadian success story - a company that grew from humble roots in Quebec to a global, multinational powerhouse with over 45,000 employees worldwide;
- Impact the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada;
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every single day to be greater than we were yesterday, for our employees, future employees, and our fellow Canadians, we're open to your ideas and trying new things that will challenge the status quo and raise the bar higher;
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a forward-thinking workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly meaningful work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
- Are you a passionate engineer interested in working on challenging, dynamic, and diverse projects in a global company?
- Do you want to influence and guide and coordinate with various internal disciplines to ensure the successful completion of state of the art projects?
- Are you passionate about growth opportunities and exposure to leading practices within a growing, global multinational firm?
What you'll expect:
Responsibilities will include design and design guidance to other team members as well as a wide range of project requirements including but not limited to:
- Design conceptual, preliminary and detailed level designs for a variety of heavy rail and transit infrastructure following relevant standards AREMA, CN, CP, BNSF etc., including all runningway and roadway elements, horizontal and vertical alignments, cross-sections, details, drainage, environmental mitigation/ protection measures and associated works;
- Create DTM surfaces from survey files and develop grading designs;
- Prepare contract drawings and documents for tender and construction;
- Provide input to construction sequence;
- Prepare quantity estimates;
- Coordinate input from other disciplines, including managing information sharing and preparing fully integrated designs and reports;
- Attend project meetings;
- Provide proposal preparation support when required;
- Provide support during construction phase, including site visits and responding to technical issues related to the design;
- Provide oversight and mentorship to junior staff;
- Other duties as assigned/required.
What you'll bring to WSP:
- Undergraduate degree in civil engineering or diploma in civil engineering technology from an accredited program;
- Intermediate level of relevant experience;
- Eligible for professional licensing with the EGBC within six months an asset;
- Proficient with AutoCAD/Civil 3D and Microsoft Office software; experience with Microstation and InRoads as well would be an asset;
- Knowledge of traffic engineering or GIS software would be an asset;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision,
- Excellent communication, analytical and writing skills;
- Ability to work in a fast paced, team based environment to meet strict deadlines;
- Strong organizational skills that can manage multiple tasks and schedules;
- Maintains good relationships with team members and project stakeholders;
Candidates not meeting the exact experience and qualifications may be considered for a modified role.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).
WSP welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
WSP is committed to the principles of employment equity. Only the candidates selected will be contacted.
WSP Canada Inc.