- To apply email Cover Letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the subject line, please state the title of the position you are applying for.
- Applications received outside the stated channels will be disqualified.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Closing date is 25 September 2016.
EGPAF IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Laboratory Scientists x 2
Job title: Laboratory Scientist
Location: Selected Districts
Primary Manager: Laboratory Coordinator
The Laboratory Scientist will be responsible for receiving and processing of whole blood samples including plasma separation, aliquoting, performing EQA HIV Rapid testing, DBS preparation, storage of specimens and shipping of plasma aliquots and DBS using cold chain system to central reference laboratory during the implementation of the Young Adult Survey of Zimbabwe. Ensure that all procedures are performed as defined in standard operation procedures and that all issues pertaining to safety are in place.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend all technical trainings as outlined by survey SOP’s
- Receive samples from the field survey teams and log them into the system
- Ensure that samples are processed within the specified turnaround time as outlined in the survey SOP
- Prepare DBS samples from the whole blood samples and store them in designated freezers using the LIS in readiness for shipping
- Run Rapid HIV test on 5-10% of all the samples as part of QA
- Conduct confirmatory tests on all HIV positive samples
- Spin and separate plasma from the whole blood samples
- Produce report on the number of whole blood samples received, DBS prepared, plasma aliquots prepared, and Rapid HIV tests done for QA
- Process whole blood sample and make plasma aliquots and store them in the designated freezers using LMIS in readiness for shipping
- Ship specimens to National Microbiology Reference Laboratory (NMRL) using packing instruction guidelines provided in the survey field SOPs.
- Adhere to laboratory health safety practices that strengthen the safety and efficiency of the laboratory equipment
- Ensure that all relevant IQC for YAZ survey samples are performed accordingly and well recorded as per survey SOP’s
- Manage supplies following FIFO rules of Stock management to avoid service interruption
- Liaise and work in close collaboration with the project coordination team, laboratory coordinator, community mobilization coordinator, procurement and logistics officer, satellite laboratory health facility staffs and the field survey teams
- Prepare, review, and submit the quantitative progress reports as scheduled
- Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Minimum Diploma in medical laboratory sciences
- Registered with Medical Laboratory and clinical scientists council of Zimbabwe
- Laboratory based experience (at least 2 years) on HIV testing in a recognized health facilities
- Those with recent national HIV survey experience and managing practical laboratory information systems will have an added advantage.
- Strong organizational and good analytical laboratory skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and successfully manage multiple assignments concurrently
- Problem solving ability
- Strong team player
- Proficiency in relevant computer applications: MS Word, Excel, Internet, Email, etc.
- Ability to function independently or with minimal supervision, trustworthy and results-oriented
- Ability to adhere to medical research ethics as provided.