Title: Senior Technical Advisor for Pediatrics and Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission (PMTCT)
Posted: June 28, 2016
Location: Maputo, Mozambique
Reporting to: Technical Director
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) supports the Ministry of Health (MOH) of Mozambique in the implementation of programs for the prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) and care and treatment (C&T) for people living with HIV (PLHIV).
EGPAF is currently working with provincial and district health directorates in Nampula and Gaza to implement, integrate, and improve access to and quality of PMTCT and C&T services.
The Senior Technical Advisor for Pediatrics and PMTCT will provide technical assistance and support to the MOH and support the Foundation to improve access to the comprehensive health services package, HIV prevention, and C&T services, particularly for children and pregnant women.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provide technical assistance to the MOH to develop, revise national guidelines for PMTCT, pediatrics, and nutrition; develop technical materials, job aids and tools for PMTCT and pediatric HIV C&T, focusing on TB/HIV, management of pediatric ART, follow-up of HIV exposed children and early diagnosis, and the Nutritional Rehabilitation Program (PRN).
- Provide follow-up and support to the different provinces in the implementation of decisions, policies, and guidelines adopted at the national level, including:
- Training of trainers at the provincial level as requested by the MOH
- Participate in joint supervision with the MOH and EGPAF
- Support EGPAF’s PMTCT and C&T programs and ensure access to quality HIV prevention and care services, including:
- Ensure the implementation of PMTCT, pediatric C&T and TB, and nutritional guidelines and provide updates and guidance for provincial staff.
- Evaluate and coordinate MOH training needs for PMTCT, pediatric C&T and TB, and child nutrition; provide maternal and child health (MCH)/PMTCT, pediatric C&T and TB, and nutrition training for MOH and EGPAF staff at both the national and provincial level.
- Ensure the quality of MCH/PMTCT and C&T services in EGPAF-supported provinces through supervision visits, clinical mentoring, and technical guidance to EGPAF and provincial level MOH staff.
- Collaborate with provincial staff to strengthen linkages between pediatric wards and other entry points to ART programs to ensure the effective referrals and continuity in pediatric care
- Work with technical advisors to provide guidance and direction to the EGPAF-Mozambique Technical Program.
- Develop and provide support to MCH/PMTCT mentors in EGPAF-supported provinces.
- Develop working relationships with the partners in-country (NGOs, CBOs, etc.) to ensure effective coordination and collaboration related to PMTCT, pediatric HIV, TB, and nutrition.
- Develop and support the implementation of the care in pediatric treatment mentoring program at Xai-Xai Provincial Hospital.
- Coordinate with the M&E team to ensure the collection of quality data and monitor the performance of the PMTCT, pediatric C&T and TB, and nutrition programs through monthly/quarterly data analysis; provide feedback to the provincial and district-level staff
- Contribute to operations research (public health assessments) evaluating effectiveness, identify lessons learned, and best practices of the C&T program, with a focus on pediatric C&T.
- Provide technical personnel with the latest international research findings, and knowledge of PMTCT, pediatric C&T, and TB and the implications for program implementation.
- Support and coordinate with the MOH and staff on activities for MCH, pediatric TB, and nutrition.
- Pediatrician with at least 5 years of experience working in HIV/AIDS programs and global health.
- Master’s degree in public health or equivalent degree is an advantage.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive clinical experience and comprehensive knowledge of pediatric C&T, TB, PMTCT, and nutrition.
- Experience in providing training, clinical supervision, and mentorship.
- Excellent understanding of current literature and clinical issues of pediatric (and adult) HIV/AIDS treatment, PMTCT, and nutrition.
- Knowledge and experience in the development and management of programs, including capacity building and systems strengthening.
- Knowledge and experience evaluating care and quality assurance tools.
- Knowledge and experience working with the Mozambique Ministry of Health, including policies and management structures at the national and provincial level.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Superb written and oral communication skills and proficiency in both Portuguese and English
- Energetic, self-motivated, and able to work independently.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to adapt to multicultural environments.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook).