FirstLine Schools: ACCOUNTING MANAGER
Creating and inspiring great open admissions public schools in New Orleans
About FirstLine Schools
In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates five PreK-8th grade schools and a high school. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
The Accounting Manager works closely with the Controller and is responsible for overall management of all work in the general ledger, monthly bank reconciliations, supervising the Accounts Payable Coordinator and Staff Accountant. The Accounting Manager will assist with the yearly and monthly closeout activities, and monthly financial statement preparation.
The Accounting Manager ensures work is performed accurately, efficiently and in a timely manner. The Accounting Manager ensures the organization is compliant with GAAP standards as well as state and federal financial regulations.
The position reports to the Controller, with whom the Accounting Manager collaborates, to ensure fundamentally sound accounting operations and accurate financial reporting.
The Accounting Manager’s key work streams are as follows:
- Financial and Accounting oversight
- Reporting and preparing for audits
- Coordination of Month- and Year-End Closing Activities
Financial and Accounting Oversight
- Oversee all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs, and program budgets and actual expenditures
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements; monitor progress and changes
- Manages the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day financial activities including invoicing/billing, accounts payable, cash disbursements, cash receipts, and fixed asset records
- Protects assets by monitoring, and enforcing internal controls
- Participates in special projects and compiles a variety of special reports
- Provides input on department procedures and process to ensure accurate and efficient recording and processing of financial information
- Maintains the accounting information system, chart of accounts and electronic and paper records
- Oversees ongoing operations of school activity funds, including school level controls, transaction processing, and monthly reporting
- Assists with the preparation of annual and quarterly financial reports submitted to the state Department of Education and OPSB
Reporting and preparation for audits
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy and completeness of all general ledger transactions
- Ensure that all general ledger accounts are reconciled monthly
- Assists with preparation of audit schedules
- Assists with the preparation and presentation quarterly and annual compliance reports for review by the Chief Financial Officer
Coordination of Month- and Year-End Closing Activities
- Develops timely and accurate financial reports to the Controller
- Monitors and confirms financial condition by conducting audits and providing information for external auditors in coordination with the Controller
- Assists with the preparation of monthly financial statements
- Assists with the preparation of monthly budget to actual reports
Education & Experience:
- At least 4 years of non-profit/governmental accounting experience. Charter school and auditing experience is highly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field
- CPA Preferred
- Commitment to FirstLine Schools’ mission and vision
- Achievement orientation with a focus on goals and results
- Initiative and drive for continuous improvement
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including strong writing skills
- Proficient with information technology
- Ability to represent the organization to a variety of audiences and to craft messages to meet various needs
- Commitment to work towards creating an organization that has healthy and sustainable working conditions while achieving a challenging mission within resource constraints
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Ability to manage multiple work streams and prioritize, strong time management skills
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders and exhibit strong service-orientation
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine Commitments: We Work Together, We Are Helpful,We Are the Safekeepers of our Community, We Share Joy, We Show Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
Accounting Manager reports to: Controller
How to Apply: Please Submit a Cover Letter and Resume as one file online via: http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.