Employment Opportunities at World Concern
|Location:||WC - Chad|
|# of openings:||1|
|Requisition Closing Date:|
|Job Description:||World Concern is a US-based, Christian humanitarian relief and development organization working in Africa, Asia and the Americas. Established in 1955, World Concern works to alleviate suffering among the poor in developing countries and to address the root causes in each context. World Concern’s primary strategy is community-based, integrated development. World Concern works in multiple-sectors to build the capacity of village-based groups, non-governmental partners and other counterparts to lead and sustain their development. World Concern is committed to best practices of inclusive, participatory and accountable relief and development and maintains rigorous standards of both financial and program monitoring. Program assistance is provided on the basis of need alone, without regard to race, creed or religion.
Position: Program Manager
Location: Goz Bëida, Eastern Chad (with travels to Abéché and Ndjamena for meetings)
Reports To: Country Director
Supervises: Program officers
Contract Length: 12 months (renewable)
Purpose: This position will coordinate with local partners and communities to design and manage our Livelihood programming with special focus on agriculture, environmental protection and economic development in rural settings. This may include but is not limited to working with agriculture, rangeland and environmental management, village savings and loan and small micro-enterprise. Grant writing, program management and community development basics are essential.
1. In coordination with the Country Director, program officers and critical stakeholders, manage and improve upon the livelihood strategies for refugees, returnees and local rural communities in the targeted areas of WCDO interventions in Chad.
2. Use World Concern’s Values in the Marketplace curriculum/materials to train clients and reach out to a wider community.
3. Create and enforce systems that ensure good performance of community based savings and credit schemes and micro enterprise development activities.
4. Focus all aspects of programming to sustainability and environmental support.
5. Control and administer the approved budget, ensuring income goals and expense controls remain balanced.
6. Liaise with accounts staff to ensure the smooth flow of all essential financial documentation and reporting, to enable full, accurate and timely accounting to donors and World Concern headquarters.
7. Manage and supervise program staff to ensure the smooth running of the field level operations and achievement of the annual objectives.
8. Liaise with all Government Officers and other development partners in the ground as necessary for the effective operation of the project at field level.
9. Represent World Concern at relevant meetings of government agencies, partner organizations and donors with regard to the World Concern’s work in livelihoods restoration in Eastern Chad.
10. Regularly review the program’s direction and position with Country Director.
11. Take a leading role in fundraising and donor relations to ensure the financial health of the program.
12. Adhere to all policies and procedures, which govern World Concern.
13. Participate in staff meetings and functions.
14. Relationally express the love of Christ in word and deed.
15. Personally nurture a life of prayer and spiritual discernment.
16. Maintain a Godly and spiritual attitude in all working situations.
17. Provide a positive witness of Jesus Christ through personal work integrity.
Required Education, Skills & Experience:
1. Spiritually mature follower of Jesus Christ and committed to World Concern’s values and mission.
2. Qualifications should include a minimum of 5 year(s) experience in Community Development or Humanitarian work in the areas of Livelihoods and/or Economic Development, rural banking or Micro Credit.
3. A BA degree in a relevant subject (agronomy, economic development, community development) or equivalent work experience.
4. Competence in the use of Microsoft Office.
5. Strong capacity building and facilitation skills, accompanied with cross-cultural sensitivity.
6. Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts, psychologically stressful environments and physical hardship conditions with limited resources.
7. Previous leadership experience and strong interpersonal skills; good negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
8. Fluent in English and French
Preferred Education, Skills & Experience:
1. Masters Degree in relevant field
2. Experience managing government grants
3. Arabic language skills are helpful
1. Requires some travel to different regions of Chad but primary base is Goz Bëida.
2. May require travel to locations experiencing conflict and possible exposure to dangerous situations.
3. Living conditions: accommodation is within Goz Beida.
4. Multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment
5. Normal working hours but may be required to work extra hours when needed.
|Back to Search Results