Job Title: Lab Technician
Location: San Jose, CA
# of Opening: 1
BGI Americas, affiliated CGI company based in Boston, MA. BGI, the largest genomics center in the world, provides comprehensive sequencing and bioinformatics services for medical, agricultural and environmental applications. We help our customers achieve their research goals by delivering rapid, high quality results using a broad array of cost-effective, cutting-edge technologies. Our customers also benefit from our scientific expertise and research experience that have generated over 170 publications in top-tier journals such as Nature and Science. BGI is recognized globally as an innovator for conducting international collaborative projects with leading research institutions to better mankind and our world. On April 27th, 2010, BGI Americas was founded and set up its main office in Boston, MA, U.S.A. BGI Americas offers scientific and technological collaboration and services to all countries in North, Central, and South America, provides R&D in technology and product development, and seeks opportunities of cooperative projects in the fields of sequencing and bioinformatics.
BGI Americas is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to join its BGIA Support team. This position provides an opportunity to work with cutting-edge technologies and contribute to BGIA’s goal of improving human health by providing genomic information to understand, prevent, diagnose, and treat diseases and conditions. As a member of the BGIA Support team, the position will support next generation processes for genome sequencing. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing and executing standard work procedures on a wide range of molecular biology techniques related to Next Generation Sequencing
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute on and assist in the development of process instructions that ensure accuracy, throughput, and quality.
- Operate and monitor laboratory automation and instrumentation. Communicate issues and failures as necessary to the appropriate parties.
- Apply knowledge and experience in specialized areas, with an understanding of the underlying biochemistry. Use that knowledge and understanding to address problems and situations ordinarily encountered in laboratory manufacturing processes.
- Functional understanding of Operational Excellence principles, including Lean, 5S, and Kaizen, and has the ability to apply them to the workplace.
- General lab duties, such as restocking supplies and maintaining inventory.
- Individual will be required to identify, communicate and participate in continuous improvement efforts.
- Will be responsible for working within the team to communicate goals, collaborate on initiatives and deliver on key performance indicators.
- Will utilize various manufacturing systems and applications for performing work duties, including LIMS and other proprietary software.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Molecular Biology or related field with 1-2 years of industry experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Previous Next Gen Sequencing experience highly desirable.
- Molecular biology experience acquired from working with technologies such as PCR, sequencing, microarrays, and liquid handling automation is preferred.
- Familiarity with processes used in molecular biology production and R&D environments.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills, with great attention to detail and record keeping.
- Proficiency in the use of basic molecular biology laboratory techniques, equipment and materials required, as well as experience with Good Laboratory Practices and aseptic techniques.
- Bloodborne pathogen training and experience with current Hep B vaccination status.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work in a dynamic, fast-paced lab environment. Should be familiar with systems and processes used in such settings, such as the use of SOP’s and LIMS.
- Demonstrated strength in working within a team, as well as ability to work effectively independently. Should be well organized, self-motivated and possess excellent time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to multitask and adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
- Attention to detail, with good problem solving and analytical thinking skills required.
- Quality minded, customer focused and driven by desire for continuous improvement.
- Demonstrated capability to interact effectively with cross functional partners, notably Development, Research, Supply Chain, and other dependent manufacturing teams.
- Strong technical ability and demonstrated proficiency in performing and troubleshooting molecular biology systems.
- Experience with Operational Excellence, Lean Manufacturing desired.
- Strong documentation skills and experience using standard data analysis tools are required.
- Experience in quality systems and resource planning is desirable.
- Competency in Microsoft Office applications and general computing skills required.
Complete Genomics does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resume to our website, employees or Human Resources.
Complete Genomics will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of Complete Genomics and will be processed accordingly without fee.
Complete Genomics has the sole discretion to determine with whom we will enter into a contract.
Complete Genomics provides equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, age, disability, veteran or uniformed service status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law