About Cleveland-Cliffs Inc.
Founded in 1847, Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. is the largest and oldest independent iron ore mining company in the United States. We are a major supplier of iron ore pellets to the North American steel industry from our mines and pellet plants located in Michigan and Minnesota. By 2020, Cliffs expects to be the sole producer of hot briquetted iron (HBI) in the Great Lakes region with the development of its first production plant in Toledo, OH. Driven by the core values of safety, social, environmental and capital stewardship, our employees endeavor to provide all stakeholders with operating and financial transparency. For more information, visit http://www.clevelandcliffs.com
Thank you for your interest in exploring a career opportunity with Cleveland-Cliffs. Our Career site is updated daily with new opportunities, so please check back often.
The Purchasing Clerk is responsible for receiving and processing orders from within the organization and scheduling deliveries for supplies, materials, equipment, and services all while ensuring company inventory is maintained.
Specific Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Prepare accurate and complete purchase orders for supplies, materials, and raw goods and send copies to suppliers and departments originating the requests
- Respond to customer and supplier inquiries about order status, changes, or cancelations
- Expedite orders and coordinate with logistic suppliers for delivery of urgent orders
- Enter customer, product, and vendor data into computer operating system
- Process freight invoices, resolve freight claims, and issue freight credit
- Compare prices, specifications, and delivery dates in order to determine the best bid among potential suppliers
- Calculate cost of orders and charge or forward invoices to appropriate accounts
- Determine if inventory quantities are sufficient for needs, ordering more materials when necessary
- Review requisition orders in order to verify accuracy, terminology, and specifications
- Schedule incoming and outgoing shipments
- Maintain detailed records of purchases, including quantities, shipping information, and costs associated with the purchase
- Review purchasing agreements and maintain open lines of communication with the vendors
- Establish long term purchasing arrangements with vendors when it is beneficial to the company
- Associates Degree in Business Administration or Supply Chain preferred. May consider equivalent experience
- 1-3 years purchasing / warehouse experience
- Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) experience; Ellipse preferred
- Microsoft Office experience (Excel, Word, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret shipping and receiving documents such as packing slips, POD’s and BOL’s
- Demonstrate a positive, can-do attitude.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and effectively manage multiple/changing priorities
- Ability to read and understand mechanical drawing sets including general arrangements, exploded views, bill or materials (BOM), welding procedures, material and piping specifications
- Ability to interpret maintenance manuals
- Effectively communicate both orally and through written text
- Occasionally lifting up to 25lbs
- Mobility required. Must be able to handle stairs and long periods of work on your feet
- Routinely exposed to plant environment including noise, dust, dirt and vibrations, extreme climate changes / changes in weather