The staff accountant will support the accounting needs of various entities and departments within the Washington Companies. The staff accountant will assist the Company in assuring the accuracy and completeness of financial information. They will help to develop and implement systems for collecting, analyzing, verifying and reporting information.
Role Expectations & Success:
This role provides accounting services for Washington Corporations and various other entities that the Washington Corporations shared service accounting team supports. This role will be part of an integrated accounting team that supports many businesses and legal entities.
As a team member of the Washington Corporations shared service accounting team, the role will work with serveral individuals within Washington Corporations as well as other financial and operational staff in the entities that it supports. The information that is collected, analyzed and reported by this role is critical to the owners, department heads and executives who oversee the operations and finances of these organizations. A value-added member of the shared service accounting team will be able to:
- Identify opportunities to improve processes and leverage technology to make their role more efficient.
- Be adept at financial analysis, both identifying and reporting on significant variances.
- Perform daily and month-end accounting functions as assigned including, but not limited to, preparing monthly billings; preparing journal entries, spreadsheets, and account reconciliations; accounting for fixed assets, and other projects as assigned.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- Assist in monthly variance reporting.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget.
- Maintain employee credit card records, reconcile related general ledger accounts, enter monthly charges and prepare expense reports for executives and other entity management personnel.
- Perform such other accounting, financial, or administrative tasks as may be required from time to time – quite often on short notice - by Senior Management.
- Prepare payment requests.
- Reconcile general ledger accounts.
- Maintain complete filing system to support financial transactions and records.
- Prepare various year-end schedules and audit workpapers.
- Perform any and all duties as requested by management.
- As Washington Corporations and other related companies change and evolve, all essential duties and responsibilities are subject to change in order to meet the growing needs of the organization.
Minimum Role Requirements: Experience, Capabilities & Educational Expertise
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong analytical skills.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Experience with MS Word, MS Excel and MS Outlook.
- Experience with JD Edwards, SAP and Business Intelligence preferred.
- Must be able to effectively handle multiple duties simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take on new tasks as needed. The individual will work closely with AP Specialists, Accounting Managers and other accounting personnel.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, or equivalent, from an accredited university.
- Two years’ public or private accounting experience preferred, but not required.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred, but not required.