TMC HealthCare is Southern Arizona's regional nonprofit hospital system with Tucson Medical Center at its core. Each day staff comes to work to use their skills and expertise to improve the health of the entire community, from birth to the end of life.
This is a 31 bed unit that focuses on providing care to patients with medical conditions and minor surgical procedures. This unit has skilled nurses that are able to care for patients that have a wide array of medical conditions as well as those that have minor surgical procedures; appendectomy, Cholecystectomy, and debridement.
Coordinates patient care planning with other disciplines utilizing the principles of the nursing process and critical thinking skills in order to maintain patient safety and well-being. (Some positions might be assigned to critical care areas requiring specialized training.)
Provides direct patient care, evaluates outcomes, consults with other specialists as required and adjusts nursing care processes as indicated to ensure safe patient care.
Writes or obtains initial nursing histories, assesses patients' conditions and develops individual care plans; maintains patient documentation.
Receives and reviews preceding shift reports and floor nurse reports; makes complete rounds of all units, and notes patients' condition.
Notifies appropriate physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
Works with other members of the interdisciplinary patient care team, implements and reinforces patient instructional needs with patient and family offering informational material and pointing out special areas of concern.
Evaluates outcomes of patient care, consults with other specialists as needed and adjusts nursing care processes as necessary to ensure optimal patient care.
Identifies and resolves workplace health and safety issues.
Provides appropriate, direct patient care utilizing appropriate aseptic techniques.
May manage IV lines, ensure that sterile techniques are adhered to, and oversee patient movement and positioning to ensure that the patient is handled in a medically safe manner.
May perform the administration of pharmacological vasodilator medications for the purpose of nuclear myocardial perfusion imaging; complies with examination competency as defined in the Imaging Services Practice Standards.
Complies with policies, procedures, regulations, and standards and takes corrective action when violations occur.
Orients, instructs, and educates assigned personnel.
Adheres to and supports team members in exhibiting TMCH values of integrity, community, compassion, and dedication.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values, policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Graduation from a qualified, nationally-accredited nursing program.
EXPERIENCE: None required. One year of nursing experience in an acute care setting preferred.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: Current RN licensure permitting work in the State of Arizona and Current Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR). Some departments such as OR, Ambulatory Surgery, Pediatrics/PICU, PACU, and GI Lab will require advanced life support certification (ACLS and PALS).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of direct patient care and critical care procedures and techniques, tools, and responses required to ensure optimal patient care.
- Knowledge of exam indicators, contraindications and patient preparation.
- Skill in communicating in a clear and concise manner with staff involved in critical care, and physicians to ensure the proper care of patients.
- Skill in reading 12-lead EKG.
- Skill demonstrated in assigned disciplines such as EP, directly involved in patient care.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to complete routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to listen and accurately interpret others’ communication or instructions to take appropriate action.
- Ability to speak and communicate effectively.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.