TMC HealthCare is Southern Arizona's regional nonprofit hospital system with Tucson Medical Center at its core. Each day staff comes to work to use their skills and expertise to improve the health of the entire community, from birth to the end of life.
Identifies, registers and maintains records of all cancer patients by utilizing tumor registry data system. Analyzes registry data and disseminates information in accordance with professional ethics.
Organizes input and maintains patient computer data to ensure conformance to cancer registry operational standards.
Identifies cases of malignant disease, obtains information from patient medical records, codes information relevant to registered cancer patients, and maintains records of living patients.
Assembles and disseminates cancer registry data; analyzes reports and communicates findings to appropriate committees.
Transmits monthly reports from cancer registry software to State and/or national cancer registries.
Responds to special data requests from State cancer registry as needed, such as death clearance projects.
Assists researchers in cancer related studies and research projects, and provides guidance in the use of cancer registry data system.
Participates in analysis and reporting of research results; assists with preparation of grant proposals, and reports; writes and presents portions of papers and research reports.
Designs and creates charts and graphs, and produces scientific and general illustrations.
Coordinates activities of cancer registry with those of cancer committee in developing criteria for patient care evaluations.
Participates in educational activities of local, state and national cancer registrar association.
Participates in and coordinates committee functions related to medical records health information systems.
Assists in care and maintenance of department equipment and supplies.
Assists and trains less experienced operators.
Operates a personal computer, calculator, FAX machine, copy machine or related office machinery in performing assigned duties.
Adheres to TMC organizational and department-specific safety, confidentiality, values policies and standards.
Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Associate’s degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school; or an equivalent combination of relevant education and experience.
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) years of cancer registry experience.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION: CTR® certification required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of developing and maintaining cancer registry databases and spreadsheets.
- Skill in maintaining and updating database information and preparing reports for management.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to inquiries or complaints from employees, patients and/or their representatives, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs and apply basic algebraic concepts.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form