Boardriders, Inc., is the world’s leading action sports and lifestyle company that designs, produces and distributes branded apparel, footwear and accessories for Boardriders around the world. The Company’s apparel and footwear brands, represent a casual lifestyle for young‐minded people who are inspired by a passion for outdoor action sports. The Company’s Quiksilver, Billabong, Roxy, DC Shoes, RVCA, Element, VonZipper, Xcel, Kustom and Palmers brands have authentic roots and heritage in surf, snow and skate. With approximately 10,000 team members globally, the Company’s products are sold in more than 110 countries in a wide range of distribution, including surf shops, skate shops, snow shops, its proprietary Boardriders stores and other Company‐owned retail stores, select department stores and through various e‐ commerce channels.
Boardriders is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer including: Minorities/Women/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans
The Corporate Counsel is responsible for drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, and providing legal advice to business leaders on a broad range of topics including: employment, finance, privacy, intellectual property, distribution and real estate. He/She will cultivate relationships across departments to encourage open dialogue regarding potential legal issues.
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a broad range of commercial agreements in the following areas: athlete sponsorship, trademark and product category licenses, music and appearance clearances, software licenses, real estate leases, distribution and franchise, and consulting relationships.
- Maintain and update policies and form agreements to address new developments in the law.
- Collaborate with Finance Department to document inter-company agreements and loan facilities.
- Counsel business units on legal considerations involved in global and regional events and promotions, including marketing activations, international photo and film shoots, athlete exhibitions and films.
- Develop and provide legal training for internal business units (including marketing, merchandising and design and e-commerce) tailored to each department’s activities.
- Draft and maintain corporate minute books for multiple operating subsidiaries.
- Liaise with outside counsel to manage ongoing litigation and minimize external spend.
- Review marketing materials to ensure compliance.
- Draft sweepstakes rules, media consent and releases, and model agreements.
- Maintain the Legal Department’s database of form agreements and implement relevant updates on an annual basis.
- Juris Doctorate and Bar admission with a minimum of 5 years of experience, with a experience in mergers and acquisitions and/or corporate financings.
- Top 25 law school and large law firm experience preferred.
- Excellent communication, legal drafting and analytical skills required.
- Confident and sound judgment for risk assessment. Able to work independently and efficiently under time pressure and deadlines.
- Action oriented and able to manage a large workload.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Experience in supervising paralegals preferred.
- Strong computer skills including MS Word, PPT, Excel.
- Professional, proactive, and enthusiastic.
- Prior in-house experience preferred.