Program Officer, Iran
Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Iran Program Officer provides management for all aspects of Freedom House's Iran-related portfolio, including project design, monitoring, evaluation, fundraising, administration, networking and management of partners. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the senior program manager for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) programs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Award implementation - Manage/oversee donor awards, including work plan development, identifying and managing consultants and sub-grantees, organizing workshops, meetings, and events, drafting program reports, maintaining contact with donor counterparts. Lead monitoring and evaluation process, track and document program activities and impact to ensure all project objectives are met. Manage program finances including sub-grants. Regularly track and update budget monitors; analyze program spending to provide accurate forecasts for supervisor.
- Proposal development - Identify new funding opportunities and conduct research to develop new Iran programs. Support the proposal development process for Iran programs including drafting of proposal narratives.
- Networking and relationship management - Develop effective professional relationships with peer organizations, assist Freedom House to increase its capacity to meet objectives and more effectively implement its programs. Develop and maintain relationships with donors and the diplomatic community, congressional staff, partners and grantees. Represent Freedom House to external audiences at meetings and events; speak intelligently about Freedom House's mission and Iran programming as necessary.
- Bachelors’ degree in political science, international relations, or related field; Master's degree preferred
- Knowledge of and commitment to the cause of advancing human rights and democracy in Iran
- Four to six years of experience, directly related to democracy, human rights and/or governance; at least one year of field experience is preferred
- Three years of experience in U.S. Government (USG)-funded programming, democracy promotion, or human rights
- Three years of experience managing USG grants, drafting and overseeing budgets, and writing proposals
- Understanding of rules and regulations governing USG grants
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in Farsi and English (both verbally and in writing) is required; must be able to draft proposals and reports in English with minimal editing and/or revisions
- Strong understanding of Iranian history, culture, and politics
- Astute political judgment and strategic thinking; excellent judgment in problem solving and decision making
- Knowledge of international human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of international democracy promotion
- Proven ability to multitask and manage one’s time effectively to meet competing deadlines and priorities
- Strong ability to develop, analyze, and manage program budgets; facility in financial management
- Ability to conduct research and apply strong analytical skills
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, strong database skills, and ability to type at least 40 words per minute
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to persuade and facilitate cooperation between people with divergent views and to collaborate with others and successfully work as an effective team member
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work
- Ability to represent Freedom House professionally in conduct and personal appearance
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to consistently produce timely and error-free work under tight deadlines
- Excellent timekeeping and attendance, and ability to work flexible schedule and be available outside of normal business hours for emergency work purposes
- Ability to adhere to and work within strict guidelines and procedures
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House
- Show good stewardship in the use of Freedom House resources
- Exhibit ethical, professional conduct at all times, and pleasant demeanor, and positive attitude
- Consistently use good judgment when dealing with all contacts and constituents
- Exhibit high work standards, adherence to procedures, and responsibility for assigned tasks
- Demonstrate the desire for excellence to inspire others to attain professional excellence
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses; pursue training and development opportunities; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Work as an effective team member and successfully balance responsibilities
- Comply with all policies and procedures
- Internal: Employees at Freedom House in the U.S.
- External: Partners, donors, consultants, other implementing organizations, human rights and civil society organizations, embassy staff, the press, vendors, both in the U.S. and abroad
- General working office environment
- Some long hours including evenings and weekends to complete tasks or attend events
- Travel within Washington, D.C.; occasional travel outside of the U.S. may be required to facilitate workshops and meetings (less than 20% of time)
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel
Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time; constantly talk, hear and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over, reach overhead, use hands, wrists and fingers, to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
QUALIFIED AND INTERESTED APPLICANTS
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter.
**Applicants who do not submit a cover letter will not be considered!**
PLEASE INCLUDE salary history and salary expectations either as part of your cover letter or as a separate attachment.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.