Web/Social Media Intern
Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Web/Social Media Intern will support Freedom House’s communications efforts to improve visibility on social networking and new media sites, promote media outreach and prepare online and print publications and organize Freedom House events. She/he will have the opportunity to work directly with Freedom House’s external audiences. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Director of Communications. This is a temporary unpaid internship that will last approximately 12 weeks.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the creation and distribution of external content for Freedom House including press releases, media alerts, tweets and Facebook posts and website content
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of social media campaigns
- Research and strategize ways to increase search engine optimization
- Assist with communications projects (e.g. public awareness campaigns, design work)
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Intern must be enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Strong interest and engagement in social media.
- Interest in human rights, democracy and/or international development concepts.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with others and work as an effective team member.
- Ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to apply close attention to detail and consistently produce error-free work.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
- Excellent Internet research and documentation skills.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Final Cut Pro and Photoshop preferred.
- Experience with website development preferred.
- Eagerness to be creative and take initiative on new ideas and projects.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in the US.
No relocation costs will be covered by Freedom House.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.