Temporary Program Associate, Eurasia
Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Temporary Program Associate, Eurasia will provide programmatic support including finance, logistical, administrative, research, and writing assistance to the Eurasia Program. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Program Manager for Eurasia Programs. The position currently requires a commitment of six months, with a potential for becoming a regular employment opportunity, subject to availability of funding.
- Bachelors’ degree in political science, international relations, public affairs, or related field
- 1 year of related experience or combination of education, training, and professional background
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and USG grant-related compliance requirements
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Russian, both verbally and in writing
- Impeccable attention to detail and ability to exercise judgement in working with sensitive data
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion preferred
- Experience living and working in Eurasia preferred
- Ability to apply accurate and strong database and records management skills
- Ability to coordinate travel logistics, meetings, and use of conference facilities
- Ability to represent Freedom House professionally, in conduct and personal appearance
- Strong ability to apply interpersonal skills, and successfully work in a diverse and multicultural environment
- Ability to collaborate with others and work as an effective team member for the success of the team
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Excel and Word and ability to accurately type minimum 40 words per minute
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare expense reports for program expenditure in compliance with FH and donor requirements
- Prepare payment requests in full compliance with FH and donor requirements
- Prepare subgrantee financial reports for compliance review
- Conduct desk research for assessments, proposals, budget narratives, news updates, etc.
- Schedule and arrange meetings and events, and liaise with internal and external contacts appropriately and under supervision
- Assist with travel plans including flight and hotel research and booking, travel authorization, visa applications, etc.
- Conduct media monitoring in English and local languages for news pertinent to the Eurasia region and produce a regular internal news digest
- Provide field office backstopping support as required
- Create, maintain, and update databases for contacts, vendors and others as assigned
- Assist with photocopying, scanning, faxing, filing, collating and distributing documents
- Ensure all work products comply fully with standards, policies and mission of Freedom House
- Other related duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
We offer great benefits including:
- Generously subsidized dental insurance
- Generously subsidized vision insurance
- Generously subsidized health insurance with three options (HMO, POS, PPO)
- 100% employer paid life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment
- 100% employer paid short-term disability and long-term disability insurance
- Supplemental/voluntary life insurance for employee, spouse, and child(ren)
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with generous matching funds with 2 year 100% vesting schedule
- Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and dependent care reimbursable expenses
- Transportation pre-tax payroll deduction for metro, and garage parking in DC
- Generous paid vacation leave, sick leave, personal leave, and holidays
- Tuition Reimbursement for graduate studies
- And much more……
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary (only candidates who send salary requirements will be considered for the position).
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.