Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Experienced Controller to lead the accounting and financial reporting of Freedom House, a mid-size NGO with an annual budget over $30 million. Position supervises a team of 5 and manages the full transaction processing cycles for payroll, disbursements, receivables and general accounting through the production of monthly financial statements and project accounting reports. Responsible for recruiting, developing, leading and evaluating the accounting staff. Maintains and enhances the Deltek Costpoint accounting system, chart of accounts and project coding structure. Manages the annual financial statement and program compliance audits. Responsible for internal controls, accounting policies and procedures, and ensuring compliance with US GAAP as well as US Federal regulations for Freedom House to maintain its tax-exempt status. Position reports to the Chief Financial Officer. Peers include Senior Manager of Grants Accounting and Senior Manager of Financial Planning and Compliance.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Direct daily accounting and transaction process activities including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash application, and general ledger.
- Direct the monthly, quarterly and annual financial closing activities to ensure timely and accurate preparation and dissemination of internal and external financial statements and reports.
- Ensure all accounts are analyzed and reconciled on a routine and timely basis.
- Manage all state, and US Federal tax and regulatory filings and compliance reporting, ensuing tax exempt status is maintained
- Manage the audit process, including work-paper preparation and the relationship with the audit engagement team.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures that improve the effectiveness of the internal control environment while also considering the impact on business operating efficiency.
- Research new regulatory requirements and accounting pronouncements, and implement changes to company policies and procedures as applicable.
- Recruit, train, develop, lead and evaluate the accounting staff, including providing timely and actionable assessments of employee performance.
- Act as back-up to CFO, peers and accounting staff as needed.
- Other related duties as assigned, such as assisting in the financial evaluation, advising, and managing new projects and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, or finance or business management with emphasis in accounting
- Master’s degree in business or accounting is preferred.
Training or Certification:
- Active CPA license required
- Expertise in CFR Part 200 and OMB compliance regulations
- Ten or more years of broad accounting experience, including three to five years of public accounting and international non-profit accounting.
- Five or more years preparing financial statements in accordance with US GAAP and utilizing using accounting software such as Deltek Costpoint, and Cognos Report writer.
- Five or more years supervising personnel up through the accounting manager level.
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP and the full-cycle of accounting transaction processing through financial reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
- Expertise in the use of accounting software such as Deltek Costpoint, Cognos Report writer, and the MS Office suite of applications.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough understanding of OMB compliance regulations, including CFR Part 200.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work product, both that which is produced by the individual and that of the team, often requiring the adherence to tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills with a client-service focus, and ability to respond promptly to inquiries in a courteous and professional manner. Must be able to successfully work collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies, many of whom may have limited or no understanding of accounting.
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Maintains an awareness and understanding of human rights and democracy promotion.
- Ability to represent Freedom House professionally in conduct and personal appearance.
- Strong personal character, an individual who can maintain the highest degree of confidentiality and exhibits unquestionable integrity, honesty, and forthrightness.
- Strong work ethic and desire for personal and professional development. Demonstrates strong desire for personal excellence, and can inspire others to achieve as well. Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Works as an effective team member, successfully balancing individual and team responsibilities.
Internal: U.S. and field employees throughout Freedom House
External: Vendors, financial institutions, tax and regulatory authorities, auditors, etc.
- General working office environment.
- Some evening and weekend hours to complete tasks or attend events.
- Travel to work or vendor sites as required, estimated to be less than 1% of the time.
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.
Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requirements of the job will be contacted directly.
Legal work authorization required.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer . All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
No agencies and no telephone inquiries please.