Location: Chișinău, Moldova
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free through collaborative initiatives with local and international civil society initiatives and organizations. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 7 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Moldova Project Assistant provides essential support to its Freedom House’s Chisinau-based Project Coordinator. The Project Assistant will provide programmatic and administrative assistance necessary for the day-to-day coordination and administration of a portfolio of activities focused on independent media and freedom of expression. The Project Assistant’s duties will include, but not be limited to, programmatic, finance , logistical, administrative, research, writing and data analysis assistance to the assigned portfolio.
The Project Assistant is a full-time position based in Chisinau, Moldova and will report to Moldova Project Coordinator. Freedom House will not sponsor residency or work permits for this position, therefore only applicants with the legal right to live and work in Moldova will be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Project Coordinator in the implementation of project activities to ensure successful achievement of project objectives and reporting requirements
- Liaise with Freedom House’s network of partners in Moldova to ensure proper preparation of financial and narrative reports in compliance with Freedom House and donor rules and regulations, including responding to partner questions and requests regarding reporting, and supporting headquarters program and finance teams responsible for approval and reviewing subgrant reports
- Coordinate logistics for meetings and public events, including procurement with vendors for meeting space, invitation lists, and catering
- Schedule and arrange meetings and events, attend external meetings, and liaise with internal and external contacts appropriately and under supervision
- Maintain, promote, and post content in Romanian and Russian on Freedom House Moldova’s social media platforms, including Facebook, and other relevant resources
- Track and update program expenditures on a daily basis
- Prepare expense reports for program expenditure in compliance with Freedom House and donor requirements
- Prepare payment requests in full compliance with Freedom House and donor requirements
- Coordinate travel logistics, including flight and hotel research and booking
- Create, maintain, update and analyze team databases for contacts, vendors and others as assigned
- Maintain program files and folders for easy access and retrieval
- Contribute to the preparation of reports, proposals, grants, press releases, news updates, and budgets as required
- Assist in the ordering, receiving, stocking and distribution of office supplies
- Assist with photocopying, scanning, faxing, filing, collating and distributing documents
- Resolve all job-related problems promptly, and escalate unresolved issues as necessary
- Ensure all work products comply fully with standards, policies and mission of Freedom House
- Participate in required weekly communication with the Freedom House Washington, DC office to report program progress on the ground
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required (preferred fields: Law, Journalism, Public Communications, or similar)
- Five years related experience or combination of education, training and experience; NGO, media, or communications experience a plus
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Native-level fluency in Romanian and Russian, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles and grant-related compliance requirements
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, and ability to accurately type minimum 40 words per minute
- Ability to coordinate travel logistics, meetings, and use of conference facilities
- Ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a can-do attitude
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Strong ability to apply interpersonal skills, and successfully work in a diverse and multicultural environment with a high degree of ambiguity
- Strong ability to work independently with minimal supervision, plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Excellent time keeping and attendance at all times
- Exhibit excellent phone etiquette, pleasant demeanor, and ethical conduct
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties , as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Qualified candidates must complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in Moldova.
No relocation costs will be covered by Freedom House.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.