Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Project Accountant will oversee general financial management of private and US government funded grants. She/he will be responsible for grants financial reporting, budget analysis, and enforcement of USG regulation expenditures. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Senior Grants Manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Review and analyze monthly field office financial reports, prepare coding sheets for posting to the general ledger
- Review and process employees’ business travel expense reports
- Conduct OFAC/EPLS checks on vendors and consultants
- Assist with month-end, quarter-end, and year-end close
- Review and analyze program wire requests and field office requests for funds
- Participate in program meetings, planning and problem solving meetings as needed
- File and scan financial documents as needed
- Resolve all-work related problems promptly, and use good judgment in escalating issues
- Ensure all work products comply fully with standards, policies, and mission with Freedom House
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration with emphasis in accounting
- Minimum 1 - 3 years of relevant experience in progressive accounting and grants administration
- Six months international non-profit or public accounting experience preferred
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English both verbally and in writing
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Experience encompassing A/P, General Ledger, transaction analysis, budgeting, and account reconciliation
- Knowledge of USG Circulars, to include OMB A110, A122, and A133
- Prior experience working with NGO accounting in a fast paced finance department preferred
- Strong ability to apply GAAP, and work within strict guidelines and procedures
- Strong ability to understand the flow of transactions and use an integrated accounting system
- Excellent attention to detail, specifically when working with numbers
- Strong analytical skills, and excellent judgment in problem solving and decision making
- Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Ability to successfully work with diverse groups with limited or no understanding of accounting
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a client-service focus, and respond to inquiries in a courteous and professional manner
- Awareness and understanding of human rights and democracy promotion
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Qualified candidates must complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary.
Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in the US.
No relocation costs will be covered by Freedom House.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.