Fellow, Latin America
Location: New York, NY (or Washington DC)
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Fellow for Latin America will serve as the regional editor for the annual publications Freedom in the World and Freedom of the Press, produce original analysis on Latin America democracy and human rights issues, and advocate on these issues to policymakers and in the media. This is a new position designed both to enhance in-house regional expertise for Freedom House’s flagship publications and to increase the contributions and profile of Freedom House in policy and media discussions on Latin America. The Fellow will be based in New York (preferably) or Washington, DC. S/he will report to the Vice President for Analysis and conduct advocacy in close coordination with the Director of Latin America Programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
* Manages a portfolio of Latin America country reports for Freedom in the World and Freedom of the Press, including analyst recruitment, country rating review, narrative report editing, and writing text for global overview and publication releases
* Conducts cutting-edge research and writes issue briefs and/or special reports that provide original insights on important Latin America democracy and human rights issues, including some writing in Spanish
* In close collaboration with the Latin America and External Relations teams, produces sound policy recommendations and advocates for them effectively to policymakers and in the media
* Serves as authoritative source of expertise on key issues for major media outlets and policymakers
* Provides expertise in media interviews, comments on breaking news stories, drafts press statements, and builds a strong following in social media, including in Spanish
* Under the guidance of the Director for Latin America Programs, briefs congressional staff and executive branch officials, testifies before Congress as requested, responds rapidly to requests for information and analysis, and maintains productive relationships with key officials
* Travels to Latin America to present report findings and build networks with policymakers, journalists, analysts, and activists as needed
* Master’s degree in Latin American studies, international relations, political science, or related field
* Minimum of 5 years’ experience in policy analysis, advocacy, journalism, or academia
* Extensive knowledge of democracy, rule of law, and human rights in Latin America
* Strong track record in producing original, policy-relevant research on Latin America democracy, rule of law, and human rights issues
* Demonstrated skill in giving press interviews and building a profile in the news media
* Proven ability to craft sound policy recommendations and engage effectively with policymakers
* Fluency in Spanish required (including comfort with and experience of writing and speaking to media in Spanish); fluency in Portuguese desirable
* Excellent writing skills in English and Spanish.
* Strong network of contacts among policymakers, journalists, analysts, and/or activists in Latin America preferred
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
Qualified candidates must complete an online application and submit a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary.
Please submit a resume, cover letter with salary history, list of publications, two unedited writing samples, and a brief summary—in a maximum of 750 words total—of 2-3 separate topics for research/analysis in this position.
This vacancy is open to those candidates with relevant permits to work in the United States.
No relocation costs will be covered by Freedom House.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.