Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Senior Program Associate will provide programmatic support, including research, writing, proposal design, program evaluation, finance, logistical, and administrative assistance to the Latin America program.
- Bachelors’ degree in Political Science, International Relations, Latin America studies, or related field;
- Master’s degree preferred;
- 2-4 years of relevant professional experience;
- Experience working on human rights or democracy-related issues in Latin America is preferred;
- Knowledge of Mesoamerica, particularly Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua;
- Previous and successful experience developing and writing USG proposals;
- Experience living, volunteering, working, or studying in Latin America strongly preferred;
- Familiarity with human rights or democracy-related issues in Latin America is preferred;
- Familiarity with Mesoamerica and in particular with Northern Triangle and Nicaragua preferred;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing;
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish is required;
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, with experience developing and managing budgets in Excel.
SOME DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write proposals and contracts, memorandums of understanding, letters of agreement and other contractual documents for partners and vendors;
- Draft press releases, briefings, and quarterly project reports;
- Lead procurement process for program expenditures in line with supervisor’s instructions;
- Liaise between headquarters finance and field finance personnel to facilitate problem resolution;
- Monitor budget for compliance;
- Assist with financial and administrative backstopping;
- Assist with developing and implementing advocacy strategy, events and delegation;
- Assist with outreach to other organizations and partners for collaboration.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.