The primary purpose of this position is to provide a structured learning environment for the first year of employment. The Specialty Leasing Associate (SLA) will learn to locate, evaluate and develop potential local leasing tenants and income-generating opportunities for shopping center properties (both common area and temporary in-line), negotiate Lease Agreements to achieve the financial objectives of the properties, refer prospective tenants for approval, and coordinate Short-term Leasing administration and tenant presentation. The incumbent will have oversight responsibility for multiple properties as assigned.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Locate, identify and evaluate potential Specialty Leasing (SL) tenants and other income sources for shopping center properties in both common area and in-line vacancies.
- Develop and implement plan to include regularly attending trade shows, review publications and canvass the area to identify retailers and other potential income generating tenants.
- Develop and maintain relationships with prospective SL tenants and existing mall tenants.
- Network with area leasing representatives and industry associates.
- Identify and develop new leasable locations in the common area.
- Negotiate Lease Agreements:
- Establish SL rent guidelines and income objectives for properties based on analysis of sales, permanent leases and income goals of the property.
- Negotiate Lease Agreements and submit tenant information, terms, locations and use clause for approval.
- Generate SL income for assigned properties to achieve assigned SL financial goals.
- Ensure maximum occupancy and minimum downtime occurs.
- Support in-line leasing efforts by assisting in identifying, developing local tenants into potential permanent tenants.
- Report to and work with the Specialty Leasing Manager to achieve property and overall SL program goals.
- Submit regular weekly reports to identify deal making, forecasting, revenue goal achievement and other program implementation status.
- Assist Vice President – Specialty Leasing and Specialty Leasing Manager in identifying and completion of SL national tenant deals.
- Assist in identifying potential new multiple-mall and national tenants. Refer prospect to Specialty Leasing Manager or directly to other Simon Property Group properties.
- Coordinate SL-related administrative duties with Mall Managers and other Property Management staff.
- Coordinate completion of Lease Agreements, SL program administration and SL tenant setup.
- Monitor rent collection, income transmittals, sales reporting and the accurate processing of Lease Agreements.
- Monitor monthly and quarterly property and Home Office SL income and expense reports.
- Assist Mall Managers in achieving the acceptable merchandising and visual presentations.
- Monitor placement if units/tenants in the common area.
- Coordinate merchandise mix with leasing to ensure beset use of the space.
- Communicate required Specialty Leasing visual presentation standard to the tenants.
- Coordinate activity of Visual Merchandiser and tenant.
- A bachelor’s degree in a business related discipline
- One or two years of general business, sales, leasing or retail experience
- Basic math and accounting skills
- Well-developed interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Resourcefulness, creativity and a well-developed awareness of design principles
- Some overnight travel may be required