This position is accountable for the planning, organization, scheduling, budgeting and execution of 4 to 5 assigned new regular retail mall development and/or mall renovation projects on a timely basis and within budget.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
The following responsibilities are project specific and dependent. These activities may or may not be delegated to subordinate staff for actual action and/or follow-up with final reporting being through the Project Manager:
- Participates in project planning with Developer responsible for project as dictated by demands of the project; contributes to site planning, preliminary building design, prospective project budgeting and scheduling.
- Coordinates final project design scope with in-house and outside architects and engineers.
- As needed, negotiates with zoning and city planning officials, owners of adjoining properties, utilities and city, state and federal government agencies in order to gain cooperation, commitments, proper zoning and easement changes, etc.
- Prepares, obtains approval of and monitors actual construction budgets inclusive of related soft costs; oversees and identifies budget revisions and reports status to Developer.
- Prepares or delegates preparation of requests for bids; obtains and reviews bids; recommends outside architects, engineers and contractors for approval; negotiates contract terms.
- Monitors and controls progress of projects; manages activities of general contractor of sub-contractors for each project through SPG Field Superintendent and/or Project Coordinators.
- Develops and insures compliance with schedule; insures compliance with specifications;
- Coordinates and negotiates responsibilities and activities with major tenants and/or department stores.
- Approves change orders or negotiates changes with contractors; may delegate approval of routine change orders.
- Reviews draw requests and insures completion of specific work; approves invoices for payment.
- May have on-site subordinate staff to help facilitate process with proper delegation.
- Interfaces on-site tenant construction through Tenant Coordinators.
- The incumbent has frequent contact with Development personnel who establish broad design and budget parameters.
- Obtains the expertise and recommendations of Engineering, Architecture and Technical Services personnel.
- Negotiates with contractors and various government entities, major tenants and regulatory agencies as applicable.
- Coordinate development of tenant construction specifications and approval of tenant plans and schedules, the incumbent provides direction to tenants (tenants include department stores, big boxed, jr. anchors, etc…).
- The incumbent is accountable for the design and construction process of projects while using the expertise of internal and external personnel. While budget, schedule and choice of general contractors must be approved, responsibility for completing the project within those parameters lies with the incumbent.
- The major challenges of this position are coordination of many aspects of multiple projects and managing the activities of general contractor, subcontractors, engineers, architects and other personnel not directly associated with SPG.
- Performance of duties of this position requires extensive knowledge of high-rise construction management, including site work, structural, mechanical and architectural considerations, electoral distribution and other utilities, landscaping and paving.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills are required.
- Knowledge of budgeting, cost estimating and supervisory skills are necessary.
- Normally, the required background is obtained through attainment of a B.S. degree in Architecture, Engineering or Building Services (Construction Management)
- 10 or more years of construction management experience or the equivalent.