Summary of the Role
In this Director level role, you will be an important member of our leadership team, setting the vision and driving to execution on the people, processes and systems required for the accounting function to keep pace and scale with our quickly changing and growing global business. This is an exceptional opportunity to work with one of the most beloved brands on the planet in a fun, collaborative environment and culture that supports work/life balance. Come work in our beautiful, modern downtown Bellevue office with 360-degree views of the mountains and lakes. Bring your team leadership, technical accounting, and process improvement talents to bear and grow with us! In this role you will bring your extensive business knowledge and understanding of accounting to engage with our business units, understand their goals and initiatives, identify accounting issues and educate them on how their choices impact the financial statements.
Importantly, this is a team leadership role. Support, develop and lead your team to success! Functions you’ll be responsible for include GL Accounting, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Royalty Accounting, Payroll (US and UK), and Tax. Bring your team leadership, technical accounting, and process improvement talents to bear and grow with us!
What You Will Do
- Provide leadership to the accounting team with ongoing coaching and development to meet the growing demands of the company both domestically and internationally
- Manage the activities of the team for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial reporting
- Oversee maintenance of organization's corporate fiscal records
- Identify and implement best practices with robust policies, processes, and internal controls for both company and GAAP compliance designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company’s financial statements.
- Develop and document business systems, processes, and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls to protect the company assets
- Perform an efficient and accurate month-end close process by reviewing and monitoring journal entries, reconciliations, cash, reporting, and more
- Lead and prioritize ERP enhancements to optimize and automate business processes
- Deliver on monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting responsibilities such as preparing financial statements and required backup to both internal and upstream partners
- Establish accounting policies and procedures to ensure that all financial transactions are executed and documented in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Research technical accounting issues for GAAP and other compliance
- Oversee licensee royalty accounting and royalty reporting to upstream licensors
- Oversee compliance with local, state, federal and international government reporting requirements including tax filings and audits
- Manage global payroll function (US and UK so far)
What You Will Bring
- 10+ years of recent financial accounting experience
- 7+ years’ experience managing accounting teams
- Excellent communicator, dedicated to mentoring and developing staff
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and other financial regulations
- Public accounting experience
- ERP experience; Microsoft Dynamics AX a plus
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- BA in Accounting or similar degree
- CPA required
How You Will Be Successful
- Great people skills: You know the “how” is as important as the “what” and you aim to build effective relationships across the organizations, as well as externally with 3rd parties. You are mindful of diverse perspectives and engage clients in a professional manner.
- Communication: You have impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to translate technical information in a non-technical format.
- Growth mindset: You thrive in a dynamic and fluid environment because you are a self-starter who is eager to learn, grow and build something great together; building and enhancing programs appeals to you. You have a desire to stay current on technology trends and Information Technology concepts.
- Bias for Action: You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You work to resolve requests and incidents with a high sense of urgency and ownership.
- Passion and Pride in your work: You love what you do and how you can add value to your clients; You ensure consistency and quality of your work and take a methodical approach to troubleshooting and resolution.
- Logical and analytical: You’re able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information to clients. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives. Travel between office locations internationally may be required on occasion.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed