The Senior Server Engineer contributes to the development, polish, and optimization of new Pokémon mobile game services. This person will work closely with client and service engineers, game designers, and artists on new mobile products.
What You Will Do
- Build efficient industry-leading, best practice infused engineering projects in a collaborative environment which will impact the experience of tens of millions of users
- Collaborate with multiple disciplines and work with microservices, gateways, security, queues, serialization, et al. using whatever it takes to “do it right” to bring to life gameplay features and mechanics
- Maximize test (e.g. unit, integration, etc.) coverage while working to find better ways to stress and test services, systems, and code
- Guide and mentor other engineers and expect feedback while working with the best
- Senior level problem solving, data structure analysis, and designing for scale both in number of titles/products supported and number of users
- Own the full server stack from inception to CI/CD
What You Will Bring
- 6+ years in a services development role; 3+ years of experience within game and/or mobile services development preferred
- Deployed or released significant features for at least two publicly accessible services with large scale usage and proven uptime
- Thorough knowledge of Java 8 and above with ample experience in OOO development (e.g. C#, C++, etc.)
- Experience with online social game systems and games with live development
- Ability to analyze complex problems and present multiple solutions
- Effective communication skills; especially within teams and with technical information
- Ability to clearly articulate API design and technical requirements with thoughtful documentation gathering requirements, exploring alternative solutions, and implementing code along the way. Maintain and update documentation
- Able to quickly mockup or prototype services and concepts
- Knowledge of various service practices which emphasis on high-scale, high availability patterns (e.g. protocols, databases, pipeline, frameworks, queues, cloud development, caching, messaging, notifications, etc.)
- BS Degree in Computer Science or related field, and/or equivalent years of work experience
How You Will Be Successful
- Communication: Impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to translate technical information in a non-technical format.
- Bias for Action: You have an eagerness to take initiative and persist in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. You work to resolve requests and incidents with a high sense of urgency and ownership.
- Passion & Pride in your work: You love what you do and how you can add value to your clients; You ensure consistency and quality of your work and take a methodical approach to troubleshooting and resolution.
- Logical and analytical: You’re able to distill and synthesize complex ideas into concise, meaningful information to clients. You’re adept at prioritization and project management with attentiveness to detail and consistent follow through.
What to Expect
We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. While we maintain a good balance between work and life, additional hours may be required at peak times or for specific initiatives. Travel to various locations domestically and internationally may be required on occasion.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children's entertainment properties in the world.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of people so classified. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.