The incumbent is responsible for providing technical and business support for the Plant Operations Department’s efforts to manage the Corporation’s investments at combustion turbine generating plants in a manner which provides safe and reliable generating capacity and competitively-priced energy to its customers and Member systems, and protects, preserves and enhances the value of those investments.
- Serve as the OPC technical expert on combustion turbines and develop options, financial and technical analyses and recommendations for use by the Corporation and its Members. Discuss and negotiate with operating personnel and co-owners to implement favorable technologies.
- Provide business, administrative, and technical support for plant managers and other personnel as needed, including planning, budgeting, and performance analysis for the combustion turbine facilities operated and maintained by OPC. Represent the Director at meetings and other functions as required and execute special projects at the Director’s direction.
- Establish and maintain a credible, positive and professional presence within the plants by:
- Analyzing and resolving maintenance problems to assure continuity and economy of operations.
- Engineering and designing modification for existing equipment and for installations of new equipment and systems to improve plant performance.
- Managing major overhauls and outages; directing and monitoring the performance of contractors and OPC Associates.
- Identifying and ensuring that adequate parts, materials, supplies, tools, and test equipment is on hand and in good condition to perform overhauls and outages.
- Establishing, monitoring, maintaining, evaluating, and re-evaluating cost effectiveness of maintenance programs.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, engineering technology, or related physical science (preferably BSME or Equivalent). Technical and business knowledge of generating plant operation, performance and economics.
Experience: This position is a Senior Engineer level position. 10+ years minimum engineering or performance management experience in an operating commercial electric power generating plant is required, including planning, budgeting, preventive and predictive maintenance and performance analysis.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: Professional Engineering (PE) license preferred and valid driver’s license that meets the insurance requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s Drivers Qualification Program.
Specialized Skills (i.e., computers, software, tools and equipment uses): Creativity; ability to organize and manage time well and to work with autonomy; good interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication abilities; good technical and business analytical skills; PC fluency. Ability to work directly with Plant Manager and senior plant staff.
Percent of travel involved: 40%
Unusual hours required of this position: The generating plants operate on a 24‑hour basis. At his or her discretion, the incumbent may elect to remain on‑site around‑the‑clock during forced outages, maintenance outages, or other significant events, and to attend plant meetings which occur outside normal office hours. The incumbent is on 24‑hour call in the event of incidents which affect the operation, rating, or reliability of the Corporations' generating assets
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.