The Shift Supervisor will perform highly responsible supervisory duties directing a group of associates in the operation of a pumped storage hydroelectric power station. He/she will direct the activities of the Control Room, Turbine, and Auxiliary Operators assigned to their shift. These activities include the monitoring of 14 combustion turbine units and maintaining remote starting capability. The Shift Supervisor will be responsible for administering lock out/tag out procedures, supervising the preparation of reports, developing operating procedures, and maintaining operational records. He/she will develop budget estimates related to supervised personnel, plant systems, and equipment. The position is responsible for providing reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Manage plant personnel and equipment. Make inspections of plant areas to ensure that operating conditions are safe and efficient. Ensure economical use of available water and power. Maintain cleanliness and orderly conditions. Inspection and operation of equipment controls requires the discernment of colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Perform the necessary corrective action in response to equipment failure, abnormal conditions, and unsafe working conditions. Necessary corrective action could involve entrance into confine spaces along with physical requirements necessitating the ability to lift 75 pounds.
- Ensure that personnel training assignments are reviewed periodically and completed to provide required training for qualification of operators for promotional opportunities, as well as for present job classifications.
- Administer the issuance of protective locks and tags through established procedures for all plant equipment to insure safety of plant personnel and equipment during operation, repair, periodic maintenance, and testing activities.
- Review applications, interview prospective employees, and make recommendation for hiring, pay increases, promotions, and discipline of supervised personnel.
- Prepare shift schedules, vacation schedules, and payroll records. Write reports and maintain operation records.
- Determine requirements for power generation and assure availability of equipment and coordination of maintenance and overhaul schedules.
- Supervise the preparation of reports, development of operating procedures, maintenance of records, and development of budget estimates related to supervised personnel, plant systems, and equipment.
- Maintain the knowledge and understanding of Oglethorpe Power Corporation policies and procedures, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission license requirements and Emergency Action Plan, Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action laws and directives as they apply in all employment practices.
- Evaluate plant performance, provide appropriate recommendations that include submittals of maintenance requests for equipment determined to be unsatisfactory for operation.
- Has an administrative role in employee and labor relations.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
Experience: Ten years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station, and has demonstrated the ability to perform satisfactorily at a supervisory level.
Equivalent Experience: B.S. Degree, or equivalent, in a technical field related to power production, and six years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station, and has demonstrated the ability to perform satisfactorily at a supervisory level; or Two years of college or technical school in a related technology, and eight years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station, and has demonstrated the ability to perform satisfactorily at a supervisory level; or Successful completion of the Rocky Mountain Operator Training Program and eight years of progressively responsible experience in the operation of a hydroelectric or thermal electric power station, and has demonstrated the ability to perform satisfactorily at a supervisory level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities :
- For safety reasons, the ability to comprehend instruction from technical manuals, journals, technical literature, drawings, and other job related resource is required; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- Decision making capabilities.
- Discernment of the colors red, green, amber, and blue.
- Work in confined spaces and heights.
- Lift weights up to 75 pounds.
- Must pass the Basic Aptitude/Skills exam.
- Basic management/supervisory skills.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations: Valid Driver’s License, which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s Drivers Qualification Program.
Unusual hours required of this position: Subject to be called out at any hour to address operating problems. May be assigned to a group of employees who operate a power plant on a rotating shift basis. These groups may change shift hours periodically to provide continuous service.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability.