Summary: The incumbent is responsible for the lead in performing checkout, troubleshooting, installation, modification, and repair of electrical equipment/controls associated with the following power generating plants: pumped storage and conventional hydroelectric plants and simple cycle gas turbine plants. Performing preventive and predictive maintenance on plant electrical equipment that includes, but is not limited to, Baker surge testing, partial discharge data collection, thermographic data collection, airborne ultrasonic inspections, high voltage testing, high current testing, TTR testing, and ductor testing. Responsible for providing reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations.
- Takes the lead in performing check-outs, maintenance, and troubleshooting of electrical equipment such as, but is not limited to, protective relays, over-current devices, meters and transducers, electrical switchgear and circuit breakers, electric motors and motor controls, generators and excitation equipment, batteries, and power inversion and conversion equipment.
- Maintain work area and equipment in a clean and orderly manner.
- Observe corporate and plant(s) safety rules and practices.
- Engage in operations for alteration, installation, or replacement of station electrical components by working with blue prints, electrical schematics, logic diagrams, plans or sketches. Make necessary changes, remove old components, install new components, and field check the system, as assigned.
- Perform a variety of duties such as equipment inspection to determine extent of defects, diagnosis of faulty operations and apply corrective methods.
- Engage in operational tests, lubricate equipment, verify working clearances, and check completed work.
- Perform preventive and predictive maintenance testing and servicing of components and equipment.
- During the performance of these duties the incumbent may be required to carry up to 75 pounds of tools, equipment and/or materials. The incumbent may also be required to work inside confined spaces and other normally inaccessible spaces in the performance of these duties. To access the work locations, the incumbent must be capable of climbing up and down several hundred steps, climb scaffolding, work at heights, within confined spaces, near or over water, near high voltage equipment, and must be able to wear, and use required personnel protective equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus, full face cartridge respirators, and air line supplied respirators.
- Operate all electrical shop equipment, basic machine shop tools (saws, drill presses, grinders and hydraulic presses) and has basic welding skills using SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW welding processes to perform, non-structural welds involving reconditioning of parts or to fabricate new parts from drawings or plans. Sets up machines for desired operation and performs work within specified tolerances and standards. In the process of performing this work, the individual will be exposed to high voltage, welding arcs, and heat/flame. The incumbent must be able to wear and use required personnel protective equipment.
- Balance and align plant equipment in the plants owned and/or operated by Plant Operations. In the process of performing this work, the individual will be exposed to rotating equipment and may be exposed to high voltage. The incumbent must be able to wear and use required personnel protective equipment.
- Maintain job related qualifications and system knowledge on the electrical equipment at the plants serviced. This to be done by attending and participating in scheduled training and safety meetings and acquiring and maintaining skill levels and certifications to complete job tasks.
- Perform preliminary design of modifications to mechanical systems, which are reviewed for accuracy and for additional support requirements by the Maintenance Manager and/or Senior Electrical Generation Engineer.