Responsible for the support of the performance, operations and maintenance of an approximate 500 MW natural gas fired combined cycle plant, consisting of a 2X1 power block utilizing Siemens combustion turbines in a manner consistent with providing safe, reliable and efficient electric power generation. Technician must understand concepts to learn to operate the equipment and perform plant systems analysis to take actions for identifying, resolving and/or avoiding failure modes. In addition, the individual performs operator rounds, troubleshooting, preventive, corrective and predictive maintenance on plant systems/equipment to ensure safe, efficient, and reliable plant operations, as well as enhance equipment longevity, complying with all policies and procedures, and governmental regulations. Responsible for providing reliable and efficient electric power generation in compliance with corporate safety policies and procedures, mandatory electric reliability standards, FERC, EPA, EPD, OSHA, DOT and all applicable governmental regulations
High School diploma or equivalent is required.
Level I: This position is an entry-level position. A highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background is preferred.
Level II - IV: Two (2) to six (6) years of experience in operation or maintenance of an operating commercial power production facility, a large natural gas facility, or equivalent military experience. In addition, a highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background.
Level I: None
Level II: Two (2) year or greater technical degree or equivalent, and one (1) year of experience in operating or maintaining a thermal electric power station, equivalent military or similar industry. In addition, a highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background.
Level III: Two (2) year or greater technical degree or equivalent, and three (3) years’ experience in operating or maintaining a thermal electric power station, equivalent military or similar industry. In addition, a highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background.
Level IV: Two (2) year or greater technical degree or equivalent, and four (5) years of experience in operating or maintaining a thermal electric power station, equivalent military or similar industry. In addition, a highly developed analytical and technical problem solving background.
Consideration of equivalent experience will be determined based on a combination of education, training, and professional, technical or military experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Education considered may include technical and college studies and degrees, industrial training programs and certifications, and military training. Experience considered may include related industrial and military work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A strong ability to work in a team environment.
- An effective trainer of personnel and one that motivates others to succeed.
- The ability to extract, comprehend and develop instructions from technical manuals, journals, and drawings, technical literature and other job related material; and to effectively communicate orally and in writing using the English language.
- Possess independent decision-making capabilities in stressful situations with minimum supervision.
- The ability to discern the colors red, green, amber and blue as used in troubleshooting electrical diagrams, control system process and in color coding used in electronic and electrical component repairs.
- The ability to lift weights or twist with a force of up to 75 pounds, as in the removal and replacement of access doors to equipment, turning of valves, hoisting of material overhead.
- Working in Confined spaces and at heights, as in entering internal areas of the turbine for inspection or repairs during outages, climbing ladders to gain access, working within tight quarters of surrounding piping and conduit to perform troubleshooting functions.
- The ability to troubleshoot electrical, instrument and mechanical systems for malfunctions.
- The ability to instruct others in the performance of testing, checkout and troubleshooting of equipment.
- The ability to provide technical direction and leadership when assigned work lead in the modifications and/or repairs of plant equipment.
- The ability to perform predictive maintenance and interpret data on plant equipment performance, if trained as a technology owner.
- The ability to perform contractor management skills when needed.
- The ability to operate and be certified on industrial trucks, forklift, manlifts, and boom truck, as required.
- The ability to perform and be certified in First Aid and CPR/AED.
Licenses, Certifications and/or Registrations:
Valid driver’s license which meets the insurance eligibility requirements under Oglethorpe Power’s qualification program.
Will require scheduled and call out OT as plant operating and maintenance needs dictate. Production schedules require 24 hour coverage, rotating shift schedules are required.