The main function of the Mechanical Design Engineer will be responsibility for the mechanical design and CAD/drawing aspects of QED’s Engineering activity, ensuring that our products continue to be innovative, sleek, cost-effective and of the highest quality.
Keen to develop and contribute to a vibrant, technology-focused business, the successful applicant will be creative, analytical, and quick to learn new skills and technology with a “can-do” attitude. The role reports to the Engineering Manager.
QED Environmental Systems design, manufacture and support environmental technology solutions for groundwater, soil and gas management applications into industrial, environmental and energy markets worldwide. QED Environmental Systems Ltd.-UK, a Graco Inc. company, is located in Coventry, UK, at our newly opened International Headquarters. QED is the leading manufacturer of innovative environmental products. For over 30 years their expertise has included Pumping Systems, Landfill Products, and Air Strippers. Graco was proud to be named a Best Place to Work in Manufacturing and Production by Fortune Magazine in 2018.
- Maintain design-engineering expertise to a high standard, including use of latest CAD techniques.
- Provide innovative solutions to design problems.
- Use DFA to ensure efficient design solutions & work to agreed timescales and high standards.
- Complete all documentation as required by company procedures
- Help QED realise our development projects to produce World-Class products
- Ensure potential failure modes are assessed and resolutions sought for new designs
- Work is to be undertaken efficiently, safely, and in-line with expected timings on the project plan
- Maintain a positive and motivated approach to company-based activities/processes
- Maintain the company system for issuing of drawings and action change requests (ECNs) in a timely manner
- Contribute to the improvement of the Engineering department
- Contribute effectively across multiple projects
- Creation and management of Engineering bills of materials (BOMs)
- Undertake product testing
Education / Experience:
- University Degree or equivalent in Engineering
- High-calibre CAD Skills, using Inventor 3D software
- Experience of DFM/DFA techniques
- Product/Instrumentation design experience (Desirable)
- Injection moulding experience (Desirable)
- Working knowledge of Lean or other improvement methodologies (Desirable)
- Experience in FMEA Studies (Desirable)
- Excellent eye for detail and a strong ability to innovate.
- High level of self-motivation and capable of working in a small, dynamic, multi-disciplined team
- Ability to work effectively, unsupervised, including the effective planning and delivery of own work
- Ability to learn new tools and techniques quickly, applying to Engineering activity accordingly
- Strong teamwork capability, supporting others when required
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Ability to embrace and encourage change
- Capability to add value to other elements of QED’s Engineering or wider business activity, including a willingness to challenge the “status-quo” and motivate others within their team(s)
Proven Quality. Leading Technology. Launch your career with Graco!
Graco offers attractive compensation, benefits, and opportunities for both professional development and career progression. QED-UK has excellent Holiday Entitlement, Contributory Pension, Employee Share Purchase Programme, Health Insurance Scheme, Private Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Income Protection Insurance, Employee Benefits/Saving Scheme, Subsidised Lunches, Free Breakfasts, Childcare Vouchers, Cycle To Work Scheme, Training & Career Development.
Our expectations are high. That's why we are always looking to hire the brightest and the best!