Summer Research & Analysis Intern
Location: New York, NY
Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world. Freedom House works to defend human rights and promote democratic change through a combination of research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline human rights defenders and civic activists. Our highly regarded analytic reports include Freedom in the World, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With numerous field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Summer Research & Publications Intern will be involved with diverse activities associated with the research and production of annual reports produced in the New York office. Assigned duties will depend on the particular prior experiences and skills of the intern. This position is based in New York and reports to the Managing Editor. Interns are expected to work 30 hours per week and will receive a modest monthly stipend. The internship is expected to begin in May 2019.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university and be able to receive academic credit or fulfill an academic requirement
- Background or interest in international affairs and human rights, including relevant coursework and internship experience
- Demonstrated experience conducting online research
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision while also collaboratively in a small-office environment
- Strong ability to ask questions, learn, and work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; graduate school experience may be necessary for the level of research needed
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
- Knowledge of and experience in international contexts (such as foreign language skills) are a plus
- Positive attitude, excellent attention to detail and accuracy, and strong personal motivation
Some Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct online research on topics relevant to Freedom House publications
- Prepare summaries and briefs of materials gathered through research
- Fact-check, edit, and proofread documents internal and external purposes
- Draft blogs as necessary for Freedom House’s blog
- Assist with the development of presentation materials
- Assist with other administrative activities such as data entry and mailings
- Administrative duties and responsibilities as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application. Please upload a resume AND cover letter as separate PDF attachments. Candidates who fail to submit either document will not be considered.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.