Program Officer, Latin America
Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Program Officer manages all program aspects for a portfolio of grants, including program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, financial management, fundraising, advocacy, outreach, administration, and backstopping field projects.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Implement programmatic aspects of assigned projects including backstopping field projects, work plan development, identifying consultants and sub-grantees, organizing trainings and events, revise and edit reports and documents created by the field
- Prepare program quarterly, final, and ad-hoc reports for authorized internal and external audiences
- Draft short-range, long-range, and annual work plans for one or more country projects as assigned
- Lead monitoring and evaluation process, track and document program activities and its impact to ensure that all grant objectives are met
- Manage program procurement and finances (field-based expense and sub-grant reports) in full compliance with Freedom House and donor requirements
- Ensure objectives of documents such as contracts, letters of agreement, memoranda of understanding, and work plans are met including obtaining timely approval, tracking duration, and notifying supervisor of imminent expiration
- Produce project ideas, design and develop program concepts for proposals, write proposals and prepare budgets
- Develop effective professional relationships with partner organizations, assist them in increasing their capacity to meet objectives and more effectively implement their own programs
- Develop and maintain relationships with the donor and diplomatic community, congressional staff, partners and grantees, policy community, other NGOs and think tanks, as directed by supervisor
- Contribute to advocacy and fundraising events relating to assigned portfolio and Freedom House in general
- Contribute to Freedom House publications, and write web site content, press releases, briefings, policy papers, etc.
- Participate in recruiting and selection and train, assign, organize, and review work of Interns, PAs, SPAs, and field staff as required; provide performance feedback to supervisor
- Maintain program files, folders, and databases for secure and easy access and retrieval
- Resolve all job-related problems promptly, and escalate unresolved issues as necessary
- Limit the use of electronic devices such as cell phones to work-related purposes
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree in Political Science, International Relations, Latin America studies, or related field
- Master’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, Latin America studies, or related field
- 3-4 years of relevant professional experience
- Experience living or working in/on Cuba or another closed country in Latin America
- Experience working on human rights or democracy-related issues in Cuba or another closed country in Latin America
- Three years managing grants, drafting and overseeing a budget, and writing proposals
- Three years of experience in programming, democracy promotion, human rights issues, etc.
Skills and Competencies :
- Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Fluency in oral and written Spanish is required
- Understanding and experience working in repressive and democratically hostile countries
- Ability to develop and write successful program proposals, reports, procedures, complete required forms and maintain complete and accurate documentation
- Strong program management skills from design through implementation, evaluation, and close-out
- Knowledge of accounting and financial management, and grants-related compliance requirements
- Proven knowledge of USG funding regulations
- Ability to apply strong analytical skills to interpret and translate complex terms, concepts and issues into language easily comprehensible to non-experts
- Ability to consistently apply good judgment in problem solving and decision making
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, with experience developing and managing budgets in Excel
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
- Ability to successfully work in a diverse and multicultural environment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong ability to prioritize work and multi task to meet tight deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Flexible and adaptable with a good sense of humor and positive attitude
- Ability to travel, perhaps overnight (less than 10% travel)
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer : This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
- We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter.
- Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. Freedom House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and professional development.