Director, Latin America and the Caribbean
|Location:||Washington, DC - US|
|# of Openings:||1|
Position: Director, Latin America and the Caribbean
Locations: Washington, DC
This position is responsible for providing strategic leadership and vision for all Freedom House (FH) activities in and related to Latin America, including policy research, advocacy, and on the ground programming activities in line with FH’s mission and strategic framework. The position requires a candidate with deep knowledge of democracy and governance issues throughout the region, relationships there (including with civil society organizations (CSOs), government entities, the diplomatic community, etc.), and relationships with relevant USG executive and congressional branch entities (including USG donors supporting democracy programs in the region). These qualifications must be combined with a proven record of: designing and carrying out successful policy research and policy advocacy initiatives before the U.S. Congress and executive branch; designing and implementing innovative USG-funded democracy programming throughout the region that produce verifiable results; and effectively leading and managing diverse staff, including overseas operations.
• Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, or related field
• Master’s degree or equivalent in political science, international relations, or related field strongly preferred
• Mastery of democracy principles and governing domestic and international institutions, instruments, and processes
• Expertise in democracy challenges in the Latin America region and in-depth understanding of socio-political, economic, and anthropological factors affecting these challenges in that region
• Fifteen or more years of experience working in support of democracy in the Latin America region, including conducting and publishing research and advocacy, and designing, procuring funding for, and implementing donor-funded democracy programs in the region
• Proven ability to clearly communicate complex concepts verbally and in writing
• Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish
• Existing relationships of trust and collaboration with peer organizations working on democracy issues, local actors across assigned region, and USG agencies and entities
• Eight or more years of experience leading and managing staff, including minimum of two years managing senior staff. Proven ability to recruit highly capable staff, manage and motivate personnel, and lead diverse teams. Strong ability to lead by example, with integrity, purpose, and commitment to attainment of FH goals
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit a resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position and desired salary range.
Physical Requirements: Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time. Constantly talk, hear, and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over; reach overhead; use hands, wrists, and fingers to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
General Working Conditions: General working office environment. Some long hours, including evenings and/or weekends as reasonable, to complete essential tasks or attend important events and to be responsive in a timely manner to emergency assistance requests. Travel to event and meeting sites. Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. Read more about the application process and search answers to common questions here. Freedom House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and professional development.
Interested in learning more about our current work? Keep up with us on social media: Twitter @FreedomHouse, Facebook at FreedomHouseDC
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results