Program Associate - MENA
|Location:||Washington, DC - US|
|# of Openings:||1|
Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
The Iran Program Associate will provide programmatic support including finance, logistical, administrative, research, writing and data analysis assistance to Middle East and North Africa (MENA) programs, with special attention dedicated to Iran. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Iran Program Officer and Director for MENA programs.
This is a nonexempt position. Position holder must obtain written authorization from supervisor before working in excess of 40 hours in a work-week.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
• Provide programmatic, logistical and administrative support to MENA staff team and partners
• Provide research assistance on issues related to media freedom in Iran and the Middle East
• Assist in editing/writing proposals, reports, press releases, articles, and briefing books
• Assist in financial management and compliance, including budget tracking, payment processing and reconciliations, and draft budget creation
• Assist in identifying and drafting contract agreements for international and local consultants
• Communicate via Skype, email and phone with field staff, consultants and local partners
• Make travel arrangements and organize logistics for international staff visits and meetings
• Organize events and meetings in DC and abroad related to Freedom House programs
• Assist with the design of monitoring and evaluation tools and data collection
• Maintain program files, folders, and databases for secure and easy access and retrieval
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, International Relations, Communications, or related field
• 1-2 years related experience or combination of education, training, internship, and experience
Skills and Competencies:
• Strong ability to communicate effectively in English and Farsi, both verbally and in writing (required)
• Comprehensive understanding of the media landscape and the capacity of Farsi media outlets to operate in Iran
• Strong knowledge of human rights principles and mechanisms, and understanding of democracy promotion, with a focus on Iran
• Strong understanding of history, culture, politics and regional dynamics of the MENA region, Iran in particular
• Mastery of MS Office Suite, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Ability to apply accurate and strong database and records management skills
• Ability to accept and complete administrative tasks with a positive and proactive attitude
• Strong ability to plan, organize, prioritize work, and multi task to meet tight deadlines
• Ability to apply superb attention to detail and consistently produce timely and error free work
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and meet all goals and deadlines
• Ability to collaborate with others and successfully work as an effective team member
• Ability to interact comfortably with Freedom House staff as well as representatives and delegations from outside the organization
• Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
Work Environment And Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified And Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter by December 31, 2018. Cover letters are mandatory - applications without a cover letter will NOT be considered! Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results