Position Title: Director of Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Freedom House monitors, strengthens, and defends democracy worldwide through programs that support frontline activists, research, and advocacy. We are leaders in identifying threats to civil liberties and political rights. Never in our 77-year history has our work mattered more, and as we embark on a new chapter of growth, we seek a Communications Director to help position Freedom House as the leading voice for democracy.
As the Director of Communications you will design, develop, and implement external communications plans, strategies and tactics to advance Freedom House’s mission. You will manage message development, media relations, social media presence, website content, and media coverage of Freedom House events, reports and advocacy efforts.
Essential duties include :
- Works with the Vice President for Communications and Advocacy to develop communications plans, strategies, and tactics that produce maximum impact in advancing Freedom House’s mission.
- Develops and manages media outreach, including relationships with journalists and media outlets; serves as spokesperson and primary contact for journalists; manages media at major events.
- Collaborates with internal staff and external partners and manages vendors to develop and implement communications products across a variety of media channels.
- Collaborates with the executive team to develop and implement internal communications tools.
- Ensures consistently high quality in all Freedom House content.
- Plans and manages communications for actual and potential crises.
- Provides guidance and media training for Freedom House staff.
- Supervises communications team; responsible for staff development and performance management.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Digital/creative agency, non-profit, and/or public policy experience required.
- Significant directly-related experience as a senior communicator with progressive increases in responsibility for developing communications strategies, executing campaigns and managing a team.
- Demonstrable expertise in the principles of strategic communications planning, including audience and message segmentation, editorial and content planning, and robust measurement and analytical approaches.
- Knowledge of democracy and/or civic engagement issues desirable.
Skills and Competencies:
- Superb writing and editing skills. Strong analytic capacity, ability to master new subject matter quickly and articulate complex concepts clearly and effectively.
- Seasoned judgment. Ability to creatively solve problems, justify recommendations and be responsive to colleagues and partners.
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills with a focus on achieving measurable and ambitious goals. Assume accountability for all areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines, developing and moving projects forward with a high degree of independence and autonomy.
- Strong and diplomatic interpersonal skills, demonstrating both a collaborative spirit and the ability to make decisions.
- Ability to thrive in a creative, fast-paced and highly professional environment that emphasizes excellence, collegiality and teamwork.
- Acute political awareness and non-partisan perspective and approach. Strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House .
- Ability to travel as needed, including internationally (approximately 10-15%).
Applicants are required to complete our online application form and to submit their resume and a cover letter that outlines interests and qualifications for this position.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. Read more about the application process and search answers to common questions here. Freedom House offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and professional development.
Interested in learning more about our current work? Keep up with us on social media: Twitter @FreedomHouse, Facebook at FreedomHouseDC