Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit .
Freedom House seeks a Finance Assistant for an anticipated five-year project on regional human rights in Southern Africa. This Human Rights Support Mechanism project, funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development, will improve the recognition, awareness and enforcement of human rights in the region, with special foci on select rights and a crosscutting emphasis on protecting the region’s most vulnerable and marginalized groups.
The Finance Assistant will assist with the financial and administrative functions according to the regulations, policies and procedures of donors, the South African government and the organization in support of Freedom House’s programs in the region. This position will be based in Johannesburg, South Africa and will report to the Senior Finance Officer.
Note: This position is contingent on funding.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Act as liaison with Freedom House headquarters finance and program staff on finance and grant compliance issues;
- Maintain the integrity and ensure accuracy of all financial data including reviewing and posting entries to General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable;
- Conduct financial analysis and prepare detailed monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports and statements;
- Assist with monitoring cash flow and managing Freedom House’s financial status;
- Assist with ensuring all accounting records and systems are in compliance with funder requirements as well as requirements of the South African government;
- Assist with ensuring compliance with programmatic objectives, financial obligations and reporting requirements according to grant agreements;
- Assist with preparation of an annual audit required by local authorities;
- Assist with the effective functioning of the office support systems including negotiations with the landlord, vendors and other service providers in the most cost effective manner;
- Assist with maintaining internal controls to ensure compliance with financial policies and regulations;
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Finance Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, economics, or related field;
- Minimum 2 - 3 years of experience with grants compliance monitoring;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing;
- Mastery of MS Office Suite; specifically Excel and Word and QuickBooks, Pastel Preferred;
- Prior experience working with NGO accounting in a fast paced finance department;
- Prior experience working with the financial and grant compliance aspect of sub-grant programs;
- Experience mentoring local organizations to build their financial and organizational capacity strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of South African accounting and financial laws;
- Knowledge of USG financial and reporting requirements preferred;
- Knowledge of all accounting principles, GAAP, and automated accounting systems;
- Ability to analyze financial information efficiently and accurately;
- Ability to effectively write reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms;
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
We invite qualified candidates to send a resume, and cover letter with salary history and desired salary. Candidate cover letters should specifically address how their previous experience relates to the duties and qualifications listed above. Only candidates who send respond to these as well as the salary requirements will be considered for the position. Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. All candidates must have authorization to gain legal employment in South Africa.