Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world. We analyze the challenges to freedom, advocate for greater political rights and civil liberties, and support frontline activists to defend human rights and promote democratic change. We advocate for U.S. leadership and collaboration with like-minded governments to vigorously oppose dictators and oppression. We amplify the voices of those struggling for freedom in repressive societies and counter authoritarian efforts to weaken international scrutiny of their regimes. Founded in 1941, Freedom House was the first American organization to champion the advancement of freedom globally.
The Summer Research & Analysis Intern for China/East Aisia will assist with the research, production, dissemination, and translation of East Asia and China-related analysis, particularly the monthly China Media Bulletin newsletter. This position is remote-based and reports to the Senior Research Analyst for China and China Media Bulletin Director. Interns are expected to work at least 20 hours per week for 12 weeks, and will receive a modest monthly stipend. Interns are fully integrated into the operations of the New York research team; they attend internal and external meetings, and have opportunities for small-group and one-on-one discussion with staff members at all levels.
The internship will begin in June 2020.
· Must be enrolled in an accredited college or university and be able to receive academic credit or fulfill an academic requirement
· Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing
· Fluency in Mandarin Chinese, both orally and in reading/writing, including the ability to translate brief texts from English to Chinese; knowledge of Tibetan or Uighur welcome
Background or interest in international affairs, political science, human rights
· Demonstrated experience conducting research in the fields of political science, media studies, human rights, law, or international affairs, particularly with regards to China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan.
· Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy, and ability to appropriately prioritize tasks
· Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
· Ability and desire to ask thoughtful questions
· Positive attitude, strong personal motivation, and willingness to learn
· Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times
· Familiarity with Freedom House publications
· Graphic design experience is welcomed
· Graduate school experience may be necessary for the level of research needed
Some Duties and Responsibilities
· Conduct online research in Chinese and English on topics relevant to Freedom House publications
· Prepare concise summaries of materials gathered through research
· Fact-check, edit, and proofread documents for internal and external purposes
· Conduct research, writing, data-entry, and administrative activities in support of the China Media Bulletin project
· Propose and research articles for Freedom House’s blog
· Administrative duties and responsibilities as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Qualified and Interested Applicants
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application. Please upload a resume AND cover letter as separate PDF attachments. Candidates who fail to submit either document will not be considered!
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. Interviews will begin in mid May. Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.
This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and that other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.