The Senior Development Associate will assist with all aspects of Freedom House’s development office, which is responsible for securing and sustaining financial support from a range of individual, foundation and corporate donors.
This is a nonexempt position. Position holder must obtain written authorization from supervisor before working in excess of 40 hours in a work-week.
Essential Duties include:
- Supporting front-line fundraising. Conduct research using fundraising databases, news searches, and other tools to produce briefings for fundraisers and executive staff in preparation for donor and prospect meetings and events. Work with development and executive teams, consultants and vendors to plan, implement and staff donor events like the annual awards dinner, receptions, briefings and other engagement opportunities. Support fundraising and prospect management activities for Development team and senior leadership, as appropriate. Maintain general awareness of and interest in the programs and activities of Freedom House, and a commitment to the organization’s mission.
- Communications. Draft donor-centric communications like acknowledgement letters, project updates, solicitations, reports and other written correspondence. Manage the donor acknowledgement process.
- Development Department Support. Participate in the prospect identification, qualification, cultivation and stewardship process for current and prospective donors. Support the department’s regular reporting to the board and executive team. Maintain donor database (Salesforce), enter information, and create and analyze reports from it to implement and assess fundraising initiatives. Under supervision, coordinate with Finance to process donations and maintain accurate financial records. Support the operations needs of the development office, including scheduling, the production of invoices and filing of state registrations. Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree
- 2-4 year of experience in a development department and familiarity with prospect research, fundraising processes, database management, and event execution
- Strong ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in English, both verbally and in writing
- Superb attention to detail, balanced against consistent production of timely, error-free work
- Skilled in research and applying strong analytical skills to provide research to development team and president as required.
- Strong capability to take on additional tasks when required, work independently without supervision, and highly motivated to take the initiative to constantly improve systems and process. Self-disciplined, action-oriented style that thrives in a start-up environment
- Prior experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management database. Knowledge of MS Office is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including effectively interacting with people with a wide range of political and social views. Skilled at establishing trusted partnerships throughout organization and using expert judgment when dealing with internal and external constituents.
- Exercise discretion in maintaining and managing highly-confidential information;
- Strong ability to plan, organize, and prioritize under pressure to meet tight deadlines
- Preferred : experience or interest in democracy promotion or human rights
- Internal : US employees throughout Freedom House
- External : Board members, donors, foundations, financial institutions, embassy staff, vendors, members of the general public, etc. with limited supervision
General Working Conditions:
- General working office environment
- Some long hours including evenings and weekends for meetings and special events
Disclaimer : This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job. It is not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties. The responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder may differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, may be part of the job. Freedom House may add, change, or remove essential and other duties at any time.
Qualified and Interested Applicants:
We invite qualified candidates to complete an online application and submit a resume and cover letter .
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need apply.