Freedom House (FH) seeks an international democracy and human rights professional to join our Strategy, Development and Learning (SDL) team at the level of Manager (7 years’ experience) or Senior Manager (10 years’ experience). We welcome applications from candidates who have experience in democracy sector business development as well as those in democracy programs or MEL who want to build their skills in business development. Freedom House is a non-profit organization that promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We offer competitive salaries and excellent benefits, including a 10% match on retirement accounts.
The Proposal Development and Business Strategy Manager will lead and improve Freedom House's development of proposals for donor-funded programs and engage in the formulation and implementation of organizational strategies to sustain FH’s mission through international programs. FH is selective and strategic in its business development and the SDL team (which includes this position) works closely with other teams on proposal development efforts tailored to FH’s mission and expertise. SDL facilitates the development of around 75 proposals per year that are written primarily by the regional and research teams in Freedom House’s 150-person organization. Program staffing and implementation is managed by FH’s regional teams, so this position is focused more on home office processes and strategy than on field operations.
Freedom House (FH) seeks an international democracy and human rights professional to join our Strategy, Development and Learning (SDL) team at the level of Manager (7 years’ experience) or Senior Manager (10 years’ experience). Ideal candidates have experience in democracy sector business development as well as experience in democracy programs or MEL and want to build their skills in business development.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Business Relations and Positioning
- Collaborate with staff in the three FH divisions (Research/Analysis, Advocacy/Communications, and International Programs) on planning and strategy for new funding opportunities.
- Some international travel several times a year may be necessary
- Keep abreast of trends in public donor strategic and programmatic priorities, and participate in donor and peer organization strategy and learning activities
- Analyze win/loss trends and work with the Senior Vice President of International Programs and the Senior Director for Strategy, Development and Learning on strategies for more successful funding proposals
- Solicit donor feedback and perspectives on FH performance in order to design and implement new strategies based on this feedback
- Ensure the clarity, consistency, and quality of the proposal development process, coordinating cross-division teams and supervising the proposal coordinator
- Work with the SDL team to further standardize the proposal development process
- Lead program design including facilitating proposal team kickoff meetings, reviewing logframes, ensuring the incorporation of evidence and standard FH approaches in proposals, assisting with proposal writing and editing on an as-needed basis
- Facilitate feedback on losses and coordinate SDL’s pre-award support to the regional or functional teams in design revision, budgeting, and the integration of innovative technical and MEL approaches.
- Train staff in proposal writing, logframe development, and the FH approach to activity design
Organizational Strategy and Approach
- Work with the SDL team to communicate and enforce policies and procedures
- Participate in the development of the organization’s signature approach to programs and help socialize that approach throughout the organization.
- This includes participating in SDL’s tailoring recommendations for social and behavioral change approaches to advocacy, complexity-aware design and MEL principles, and systems-thinking as applied to civil society partners.
- Support the Senior Director for Strategy, Development and Learning in integrating the above approaches into proposals and strategies
- Participate in the implementation of organization-wide initiatives related to new business development
- Minimum seven years experience for Manager-level or 10 years experience for Senior Manager-level working in international development; democracy, rights and governance experience required; business development experience preferred
- Knowledge of USAID and U.S. State Department award development processes, rules and regulations; professional networks that include staff from USAID, State Department and other public sector donors
- Outstanding English written communication and editing skills
- Experience facilitating trainings and group decision-making processes
- Experience collaborating with diverse teams
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines
- Experience contributing to organizational strategy and change processes
- Demonstrated computer literacy and experience with a variety of business applications and project management software
- BA/BS in a relevant field required.
- Post-graduate degree preferred for Senior Business Development Manager
- Evidence of relevant training or other formal qualifications will be requested of finalists